Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
Sound In Franz Fanon: Black Sk Essay, Research Paper
Sound in Opening of Isaac Julien s
Frantz Fanon: Black Skin, White Mask
Language of Film
December 7, 2000
Sound is a very important element in any film; however, it receives particular importance in a documentary because the director must weave together factual information with nondiegetic music, non-simultaneous dialogue, and recreated sound effects. In the documentary Frantz Fanon: Black Skin, White Mask, director Isaac Julien confronts many of these challenges successfully within the first few minutes of the film.
In the opening sequence of the film, Julien presents the title and production credits over a soundtrack of nondiegetic music. This sound is overlaid with the onscreen, diegetic, external sound effect of chalk scraping a chalkboard; correspondingly, we see a simultaneous image of a hand writing text on a chalkboard. Finally, three booms of a bass drum in the music track (with a mellow timbre, low pitch, and medium volume) appear in synch with the visual presentation of the production credits on the screen. In this manner, Julien prepares us for a film with a complexly layered soundtrack.
After the credit sequence, Julien introduces the audience to the film s major themes in an exposition sequence that depicts a man chanting in a psychological institution. His chanting is diegetic, onscreen, rhythmic, and displays high fidelity in terms of realism. The only low fidelity aspect occurs in terms of sound perspective: the volume of the man s chattering does not vary, although his proximity to the camera in the visual image varies. Also, there is a sound effect track of heavy breathing and static background noise so that the silence between the man s chanting does not seem surprisingly empty. Finally, nondiegetic operatic music enters the soundtrack over the dialogue and sound effect tracks, creating a pensive tone that reflects Frantz Fanon s struggles with racial identity.
Overall, Julien manages to create an excellent opening to the film Frantz Fanon: Black Skin, White Mask through his use of layered sound. The layers, in turn, reflect Frantz Fanon s search for identity among the influences of many opposing cultures.
- ... /travel?) --- 7. (the weather/fine?) --- 8. (what/do in the evenings?) --- 9. (meet ... hair (black/beautiful) ---. 16. an old painting (interesting/French) ... here ---.' 10. In Britain people send each other cards ---. 11 ... the word ends in ~s/~ss/~sh/~ch/~x: match ...
- ... : Pat’s black cat is in Pat’s black hat. Pussy ... , jostle, bottle, scallop, foam, coal, load, toast, roach ... comb, lamb, tomb c sc Scissors, scene, muscle d ... each sound: Chandelier, worth, anger, triumph, Anthony, sandwich, cheekbone, Stephen, shrewd, bang, Frank ...
- ... ,439 sq km (50,363 sq mi), ... and the highest summit in England is Scafell ... known as the Black Country because ... the chief indigenous fauna of England are ... married Bertha, a Christian Frankish princess. Soon after, ... or administrative units. Each had a shiremoot, or ...
- ... : 751 Sq Km (290 Sq Mi) ... 18th centuries. Black Africans account for ... hard with each other and ... that to send the French settlers packing ... The French Revolution resulted in a French Republican invasion in 1797 ... . Fauna: Dominica has a relatively varied fauna and ...
- ... of the division SS "Galychyna" and Ukrainian ... в чистоті. Vocabulary: block of flats ['blok av flats] — central ... with my friends. In fine weather we often ... send to each other. Valentine candy is packed in ... Paton was born in 1870 in a French town Nizza. Paton ...