Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
The Civil War:(The Crisis Of War) Essay, Research Paper
Why did the Civil War occur? The Civil War was a crisis of growth. In less
than three quarters of a century, thirteen old British colonies created a nation
with a powerful economy.
The young U.S profited from their colonial past as well as the land which
procured immense amount of resources and possibilities. The history of the U.S
from 1789 to 1865 showed problems of men and resources and the economic boom
will increase differences inside the different parts of the Union.
The civil war could have been avoided, because the American nation gradually
took conscience of itself, and nationalism had been resisted by the second war
The difficulty of the American political system: (federal and republican system)
will bring with itself the problem of union and liberty. The anti federalists
also known as republicans blame the government for its attachment to Europe and
criticised the reinforcement of the federal power. Another source of problem is
the economic differences; near 1860 two America appeared: The North, a country
with much activities, and the South, a country of slavery plantations, attached
to the past.
These differences and divergences reflect on the political view of a nation.
However, this new country could have avoided the Civil War, because at the
beginning, pioneering’ spirit was very positive; it had brought down class
barriers. Another advantage of that time was to occupy lands or gain possession
of it at low prices, to access to all the jobs. Taxes were not high. The U.S had
the chance to know a great increase of their population (In 1860 the population
is 8 times greater than the one of 1790). Food is easy to find, and the jobs are
abundant. The lack and the high price of the labour, partly explain the
maintenance of slavery, and made immigration necessary. On the economic point of
view, independence had made the situation better because the old colonies stayed
dependent upon Europe and mainly England, but in fact, the chances and
advantages of the Americans were considerably high: virgin land with tremendous
amount of resources.
All kinds of transports developed (roads, canals,) for example: the canal Eri?
built up in 1825 permitted to reduce 90% the price of transportation of the ton
of their merchandise between Buffalo and New York. The same year, steam boats
enabled to transport a better market at a better price. In 1830, the way up of
the Mississippi, from New Orleans to Luisville, did not necessitate 4 months
anymore, but only 8 days. Also the railroads were developed and with the
telegraph, the railroads consolidated the political unity of the Union.
The development of this new country is astonishing: with the republicans another
good point is achieved: the decrease of the taxes, and the adoption of the
universal suffrage (everybody is allowed to vote).
When the nationalism spirit succeed against the English, literature will reflect
the American power but will not be strong enough to exceed the difficulties
between the North and the South. The differences of interests were the
following: the South reproached to the North the customs tariffs, the monetary
political. The North considered the economy of the South as out of date, a dead
weight which slowed down the course of history; the incompatibility of
temperament and a common hate. The reasons of this divorce are of course as well
the problem of slavery. For the South, slavery was essential for their life
style: slaves do not cost anything except the food and the surveillance. The
North considered slavery as a shameful act. The expansion to the West made worse
the conflict between the North and the South on the problem if the new States
added in the Union will become states with or without slaves starting in 1850.
The abolitionists, inspired by the Quakers made a huge propaganda which
increased the number of the abolitionists. Also, writers like Beecher-Stowe’s
book “Uncle Tom’s Cabin” motivated many readers. The Dread Scott’s affair as
well as John Brown’s affair stirred up the public opinion on both sides. In 1860
Abraham Lincoln is elected president and will face opposition with the divided
nation. For the South this election is a declaration of war, he secedes and
engages the hostility.
The Civil War happened as a result of a divorce. And this divorce could have
been avoided. The South did not seem to weight a lot in front of the North
agricultural and industrial made of 22 millions habitants. But the South had
professionals officers, and the war lasted for years with more than 100 battles
and 600 000 killed. The Southerners felt anger which divided the South from the
North for years. The Civil War brought so many ruins, but the Union was saved,
and the thirteen amendment of the Constitution abolished slavery.
- Summary of the Civil WarThe 1800’s were a tumultuous time for the United States of America ... for the soldiers fighting for him during the civil war. After the war the store ... the south despite this the civil war begansix weeks later.At the start of the Civil ...
- ... , Research Paper Civil War The Civil War started on ... was known as the union and the Confederate States of ... federal arsenals and forts. The Civil War began as Confederates ... The Thirteenth Amendment, abolishing slavery, was ratified December 6. Ending the Civil ...
- ... in the Civil War are the strategies and the advantages each of the sides had. The ... come to the rescue of the Confederacy. The first battle of the Civil War was ... in the Cabinet. Reconstruction – Post Civil WarThe Civil War had ended and now the slaves ...
- ... Paper American Civil WarThe American Civil War was a grave turning point in the history ... as well effected by it. The civil war was a conflict over way ... and North. In conclusion, the civil war had the legacy of a truly modern ...
- ... , helping to ease the wounds still left from the civil war. Newspapers circulated ... The De Lome letter written by the Spanish ... increased the powers of both the Executive Branch and the Legislative Branch. The Executive ...