Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
Ancient And Medieval Times Essay, Research Paper
2 million years ago, life on Earth for mankind was very different. Back then,
technology as we know it did not even exist. Over the years, mankind?s increased
scientific knowledge has allowed him to increase the amount of personal luxuries, but not
without a cost.
The first human beings may have appeared 2 million years ago, but they did not even discover fire until 1.5 million BC. From a purely technological standpoint, todays world far surpasses that of the old. All the comforts of modern technology are at our fingertips, and living outdoors is no longer a necessity, but a leisure activity. For most of us, entertainment is not a problem. Electronic video and computer games are readily available, as is 24-hour TV ? for a price. Foraging for food is reduced to a short trip to the supermarket, except for those who provide the said food. Of course, nothing comes for free, and the time which might have been spent hunting for food is spent working in offices and such. In a world of such plentiful knowledge, only incredibly advanced specialization, and an increased population, has allowed mankind to progress.
With so many people, mankind has been forced to spread outwards in a desperate need to colonize new lands. With new technology, nothing is impossible, and even the barren wastes of the scorching desert or freezing artic are not unlivable. Even further outwards, the vast reaches of space beckon. All this colonization however, would be impossible without the help of technology for communication and transportation. With the invention of airplanes, flying halfway around the world in 10 hours is made possible.
In stark contrast to all these wonders, prehistoric life before the invention of farming or herding was a constant struggle for survival. Hunting and foraging for food were daily activities which occupied most of the free time. Also, before all the advances in medical knowledge, diseases or injuries were almost always fatal. What with the harsh living conditions and dangerous creatures, the average life span was an appalling 20 to 30 years.
Still, it wasn?t all bad. For one thing, people of that time didn?t know of all the failings of modern society, like poverty, oppression, drugs, crime, or pollution. Technology has sometimes been something of a two-edged sword. Some of the wounds, such as poverty, have been cut too deep and may never heal. Back then, people were probably satisfied with life, if only because it was all they knew.
In conclusion, modern life has, in some ways improved since prehistoric times, although for some, it is worse. But for better or worse, all that matters is the future, and if mankind can make up for some of its failings, the future will be a much brighter place.
- Medieval Chivalry Essay, Research Paper Western Civilization Medieval Chivalry and Knighthood During medieval times knighthood was a class culture, cherished ... own day, describes a battle in ancient times in which men could not ...
- Medieval Judaism Essay, Research Paper MEDIEVAL JUDAISM In a review of a Jews ... given the silence of the ancient sources, it is hard to ... his times. His writings are generally accepted by Orthodox Jews and form ...
- ... And Aristotelian Theory Essay, Research Paper Ancient Greece has made an everlasting effect on society and ... have been mutated several different times and in several different ways. ... branch of the medieval educational curriculum, where rhetoric, and the art of ...
- ... ), which means the transition between ancient and modern times. The first 500 years ... Verdun. This treaty stated that each brother got part of the ... the political struggles in the medieval times. The medieval Catholic Church wove Christianity ...
- ... they were in medieval Europe. Although universities of each era are ... and could determine who got to learn the ancient ... universities of medieval as well as modern times not only ... experiences. The research purposes of the modern and medieval universities not ...