Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
THE FUNCTIONS OF MEMORY
Memory is the ability to remember past events, images, ideas, or previously learned information or skills. Memory is also the storage system that allows a person to retain and retrieve previously learned information.
There are three key processes to memory: encoding, storage, and retrieval. Each of the three stages in memory-sensory memory, short-term memory, and long-term memory focuses on encoding, storage, and retrieval.
Sensory memory performs initial encoding and provides brief storage. Semsory memory can change a visual, auditory, or chemical stimulus into a form the brain can interpret, like a photograph. Sensory memory is temporary. Once information is received, it is transferred for additional encoding and storage. Unless you quickly
transfer it to short-term memory by writing it down or repeating it, you will forget it.
Short-term memory is the storage system that temporarily holds current or recent information for immediate or short-term use. Short-term memory must further encode, store or maintain information for thirty seconds. A person may want to rememjber certain details of information. Repeatedly verbalizing and thinking about it, will keep
that information in memory. Information contained in short-term memory is available for less than twenty and no more than thirty seconds. It must be transferred to long-term memory, or it will be lost.
Long term-memory is the storage system tha keeps a permanent record of information. Information such as names, dates, places, events, and smells can be found in long-term memory. Information that is important is immediatly stored inot long-term
memory. Birthday’s, your telephone number is maintained in long-term memory. We have the ability to remember real-world events, even though they happened many years ago. The capacity for long-term memory is infinite. The more information a person acquires, the easier it is to acquire information. Long-term memory may preserve information for a lifetime with its focus on retrieval.
- Organisation Of Memory Essay, Research Paper The Organisation of memory By Tasneem Sarwar A considerable amount of research has been carried out ... on the nature and structure of memory, its functions ...
- Meaning Of Illusions Essay, Research Paper The True Meaning of Our Illusions Every human being ... memories: If perception is considered to be the result of certain principles of brain functioning ...
- ... Of Psychoanalysis Essay, Research Paper The history of the major discoveries in psychoanalysis is largely interwoven with the ... memories, the gains ... the ego, and the superego. The three forces, while having distinctive implications for the functioning of the ...
- ... Of Shallot Essay, Research Paper The Lady of Shalott ?The greatest social difficulty in England today is the ... the mirror, she trapped her memories of nature. The unraveling is an example of the loss of ...
- Types Of Memory Essay, Research Paper Memory is one of the most puzzling parts of the brain. How can our brain ... main functions: recording, storing, and recalling. One records information in the brain ...