Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
Can Computers Understand? Essay, Research Paper
Can Computers understand?
1) Thinking is the hallmark of understanding.
2) Only special machines can think.
3) If something can think it can understand.
4) Only special machines that can think can understand.
5) “Mental” states and their resulting actions are products of the
center of activity (brain).
6) To understand, thoughts must be produced by the brain.
7) A computer’s mental states and events are controlled by a program.
8) The program is not a product of the computer.
9) A computer does not produce “thoughts” in its brain.
10) A computer cannot understand.
John Searle addresses the point of the ability of Artificial
Intelligence (AI) to understand, in Mind Brains, and Programs. His main
argument is that because AI’s are computers and computers have no thoughts of
their own, they cannot understand. Any actions being performed to simulate
behavior are confined by the programs available to the computer. He presents
the example of a man linking Chinese characters and appearing to know the
language, but in reality the man is just following the instructions given to him
( the program). This example serves well to explain how although a computer can
look like it understands a story, it can do no more than “go through the
Of course such a definitive standpoint on an issue as controversial as
the capacity of an AI to understand will draw many critics. The criticism of
his theory that I find to be the most credible is The Other Mind Reply offered
by Yale University. This line of thinking asks: if behavior is what we can
determine the presence of cognition through, and an AI passes a behavioral test,
why don’t we attribute cognition to it?
I myself do not believe in the philosophy of AI understanding, because
to support either side on this issue one must have a belief for or against the
ability of man to create another being capable of thought. I do not believe
that any machine based creature we may ever create has the ability to think.
Thought is something that is independently done and cannot be given to another,
or more accurately, programmed in. Regardless of however many tests that may be
passed simulating thought and understanding, a programmed being is not capable
of thought and understanding.
- Can Computers Think? Essay, Research Paper Can Computers Think? In order to answer ... . We are just beginning to understand computers. New programming techniques are being ... mind and the more we understand computers the closer we will get ...
- Computational Mind Essay, Research Paper The purpose of this paper is to present John Searle?s ... . He uses the example that a computer can simulate the production of milk ... mathematics to demonstrate that humans understand something that machines do not ...
- Computer Intellect Essay, Research Paper A new issue has come about since the building of computers. But ... question this paper will attempt to answer. That is, Can a computer have a ... that a computer can have a mind, and one-day, we may better understand this ...
- Computer Languages Essay, Research Paper Despite having very little knowledge of the world of computer ... difficult programming language to understand. C commands are ... the student’s score." ** endl; cin ** student_score; if (student_score *= min_satisfact_score ...
- Computers 2 Essay, Research Paper People use computers everyday. Some people know how ... not too many people can understand how the computer works and its processing ... are sending it. So computers can take a while to understand, but when comparing ...