Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
Barbiturates Essay, Research Paper
WHY IS THE UNCONTROLLED USE OF BARBITURATES DANGEROUS?
Barbiturates are classified in the medical world as clinical depressants that are used to reduce the feeling of stress in individuals by slowing down the central nervous system. In small doses, barbiturates can be very helpful in bringing calm back to a person; but in large uncontrolled doses, they can be extremely fatal.
Barbiturates are used to treat individuals with sleeplessness, anxiety, and tension, and to help prevent or relieve epileptic seizures. Certain types of barbiturates are used to induce anesthesia at the beginning of long operations.
Although rarely prescribed anymore because of the risks of abuse, in small doses barbiturates are very useful to doctors.
In low doses, barbiturates reduce anxiety, reduce respiration, reduce blood pressure, reduce heart rate and reduce rapid eye movement. It is in this respect that I believe they are beneficial to the modern world of medicine especially in helping individuals overcome stress. In large doses barbiturates can act like a stimulant. These effects may be caused by depressing inhibitory brain circuits. In other words, barbiturates at these doses act to remove inhibitory behavior. They can lead to extreme sedation and anesthesia, leading to a comatose state, and even death. Overdoses are an often occurrence in the case of barbiturates because the effective dose is very close to the lethal dose.
Barbiturates are like any other narcotic in the respect that they cause dependence and tolerance in the user. As they become more dependent on the drug and build up tolerance towards it, it takes a greater and greater amount of the drug to achieve the desired affect.
Barbiturates can have easy access to the brain because they dissolve quite easily into fats. Because of this ability, they can follow the bloodstream and cross the blood brain barrier easily. Also, since barbiturates dissolve into fat, they can build up and later re-enter the blood stream. Different types of barbiturates exit the blood stream at different rates.
When barbiturates are uncontrolled by a medical professional, an individual may become dependent and addicted to barbiturates, and overdose, leading to serious consequences: extreme anesthesia, comas, and even death.
- ... Essay, Research Paper Insomnia is a common sleep disorder that plagues millions of people around the ... . Many sleep medications contain barbiturates. Which are also considered ... Letter December 1, 1998: 1-3. “Why Rest.” The Wilson Quarterly Autumn 1998: 132 ...
- ... Essay, Research Paper Psychology INTRODUCTION The study of the way people think and behave is ... the brain called the cerebrum. This is why it is called the cerebral cortex. The cortex is ... These include ethyl alcohol, barbiturates, methaqualone, and many others ...
- Legalization Of Narcotics Essay, Research Paper According to the National Clearinghouse for Alcohol ... barbiturates. Drug addiction is a form on enslavement. It pathologically alters the ... than just stopping the spread. This is the reason why the war on drugs ...
- The Death Penaly Essay, Research Paper The Death Penalty The death penalty: what does it do? Is ... right or wrong? Why? If the death penalty is not familiar to ... involves the continuous intravenous injection of a lethal quantity of a short-acting barbiturate ...
- Legalization Of Marijuana Essay, Research Paper Marijuana is a plant, cannabis sativa, that contains a ... (Tylenol with codeine and some barbiturates. Schedule IV drugs (Valium ... one major reason why the government is not legalizing marijuana is because they ...