Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
Autism Essay, Research Paper
Autism is one of the mental, emotional, and behavior disorders that
appears in early childhood. Autism, or autistic disorder, almost always
develops within the first 3 years of a child’s life. Children and adolescents
with autism cannot interact normally with other people. Autism thus affects
many aspects of their development.
Children with and adolescents with autism typically: -have a difficult
time communicating with others -exhibit very repetitious behaviors (like
rocking back and forth, head banging, or touching or twirling objects); -have a
limited range of interests and activities; and -may became upset at a small
change in their environment or daily routine.
Although symptoms of autistic disorder sometimes can be seen in early
infancy, the condition can appear after months of normal development. In most
cases, it is not possible to identify any specific event that triggers autistic
disorder. About 7 in every 10 children and adolescents with autistic disorder
also have mental retardation or other problems with their brain function or
Recent studies estimate that as many as 14 children out of 10,000 may
have autism or a related condition. About 125,000 Americans are affected by
these disorders, and nearly 4,000 families across the country have two or more
children with autism. Three times as many boys as girls have autism.
Researchers are still unsure about what causes autism. Several studies
suggest that autistic disorder might be caused by a combination of biological
factors, including exposure to a virus before birth, a problem with the immune
system, or genetics.
Scientists also have identified chemicals in the brain and the immune
system that may be involved in autistic disorder. As a normal brain develops,
the level of serotonin, a chemical found in the brain, declines. In some
children with autistic disorder, however, the serotonin levels do not decline.
Now researchers are trying to determine whether this happens only to children
with autism and why, and whether other factors are involved.
- Autism Essay, Research Paper There are several reasons why I chose the topic of Autism. First, autism ... prompted me to do some research into autism and I found that these ... observed in patients afflicted with autism. Autism has mystified scientists and ...
- Autism Essay, Research Paper Autism is not a disease, but a developmental ... system disorders, including autism. The NINDS conducts research in its laboratories at ... signs and symptoms of autism. Researchers hope this research will provide new ...
- Autism Essay, Research Paper Overview of Autism Autism or PPD (pervasive developmental disorder) ... . Some research has shown that there may be an autism gene, or ... is headlining the battle for autism. New research has shown substantial evidence ...
- Autism Essay, Research Paper Autism Throughout the years the diagnosis of autism has changed dramatically. Once ... , or cystic fibrosis, and autism research still receives less than 5% ... known. The most current research links autism to neurological or biological ...
- Autism Essay, Research Paper In general, autism is the developmental ... and exposure to autism (autism zone, review). Autism and related disorders ... no definite test for autism. Autism is usually first diagnosed ... and much research is going on now. Autism is like ...
- Autism Essay, Research Paper A relatively rare multifactorial disorder occurring ... newest explorations in the research of causes of autism is that in ... of research professionals are beginning to realize that the symptoms of autism ...