Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
Heroes Of Time Essay, Research Paper
Heroes of Time
After reading an epic entitled Beowulf, a connection between the main character, Beowulf, and another great man in history, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., unfolds. Beowulf and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. hold a special place in the hearts of many. Crowds supporting Beowulf acknowledge that there is no greater warrior to rule over men. People speaking about King agree that life in the United States would be drastically different if he was not a part of history. Their accomplishments are widely known and their legacy will never be forgotten. Both men are renown, serviceable to the needy, and powerful, but their method of conquering evil and fashion of passing from this world differs.
Beowulf, as well as Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., is called to a certain task. Though each man s battle is different, their reason for helping others is not for fame or selfish benefits. Beowulf hears of a monster who fills the nights with horror / and quickly commanded a boat fitted out (l.93-94). He chooses the strongest men and sails to defeat Grendel, the demon of darkness that devours men. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., in the same manner, refuses to allow segregation to further exist. He set out to win equal protection under the law for citizens of all races. Both come to the aid of the helpless with sincere devotion to complete the toil. It is this character trait that earns Beowulf and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. historical praise.
During the combat with the evil forces, Beowulf and King fight alone using no weapons. Although there is support from others, the defeat of the enemy is solely attributed to the men. Beowulf proclaims, My lord Higlac / Might think less of me if I let my sword / Go where my feet were afraid to, if I hid / Behind some broad linden shield: my hand / Alone shall fight for me, struggle for life / Against the monster (l.248-253). The rest of Beowulf s army watches the battle from a safe distance, but offers no help unless they are called upon. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. also uses no weapons to conquer over racism. King s followers attended his rallies and listened to his words, which made King appear more powerful than he already was. His many speeches and meetings with political influences allowed him to win victory over separation of colors.
Beowulf differs from Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. because his strength is somatic. Beowulf completely disconnects a gigantic monster s arm with his bare hands. He boasts of his strength by saying, I drove / Five great giants into chains, chased / All of that race from the earth. I swam / In the blackness of night, hunting monsters / Out of the ocean, and killing them one / By one (l.232-237).
King never used physical strength to battle against his enemy; instead, it came from his spirit and his mind. After being beat and humiliated, King still refused to use force against his persecutors. He knew his words would be far more effective than rude actions.
The death of Martin Luther King came unexpected. In his time of greatest triumph he was assassinated by one who disagreed with his preaching s. King was not able to know how much of an impact he made on America today, nor was he ever fully rewarded for his great accomplishments. Beowulf, on the other hand, is able to wreak the benefits of his hard work. He becomes King and takes part in many more battles before his death. Beowulf s passing is no surprise, because his army knows that he has grown ill and weak over the years. While once again fighting a battle with evil, he is struck down never again to rise.
Forms of remembrance have been set up for both Beowulf and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. For Beowulf, a temple was built in his honor, which stands strong and tall. The temple is also Beowulf s resting place, for his ashes are stored inside its walls. On January 20, 1986, Dr. Martin Luther King s birthday was set aside as a national holiday of honor and tribute.
Beowulf and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. are considered to be great men of their time. They had a special ability to reach a wide variety of people. Beowulf and King s faith and trust in their own selves enabled them to complete the goals set forth before them. Their services to the public will never be forgotten and their triumphs will forever have a lasting impression on the lives of all who know them.
- Heros Of Greece Essay, Research Paper In ancient Greek times heroism was much different than it ... to become a hero most of the time is rich, after you ... there. But in the time of the Trojans it took much ... have read of so far in the Iliad, other than Zeus and ...
- Heros Essay Essay, Research Paper HEROES ESSAY What is a hero? To you ... were all that you thought of, then you are also indisputably ... is more likely than not worthy of this distinction and ... makes them heroes, regardless of whether or not they were heroes to ...
- Heroes And Villains Essay, Research Paper Is a hero a ... of individual people, we all know that not all heroes ... at the right time and do something ... . He was a representative of ballpark hotdogs, Gatorade, and ... rest of the paper is available free of charge to ...
- Heroes And BEOWULF Essay, Research Paper Webster?s dictionary defines a hero ... in that period in time is the idea of hubris, a fatal ... section left out of the Holland translation. He then proceeded to ... to gain them for the Geats,? and a sense of destiny, that ...
- ... Of Mythology Essay, Research Paper Michael A. Murray English 385 Mythology Mid-Term EXPOSITION OF MYTHOLOGY ... Since the beginning of time people have ... supernatural beings, ancestors, or heroes that serve as primordial types ...