Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
Animal Rights Essay, Research Paper
As Doctor Zola-Morgan stated in a speech to animal right activists, “I’ve seen the
impact of the animal rights movement. I believe this is an attack on science of the
worst kind. If we allow it to prevail it will take us back to the dark ages.” Too much of
the public has come to think of medical researchers as “tormenters rather than
healers.” The good is overlooked and the bad is exploited. Although many people think
that animal research is morally wrong, animal research should continue because it is
critical to continued progress in human health and alternatives to research animals are
Animal rights activists feel that animal research is immoral. They do not see where we
as human beings see or feel that we are the dominant species. They often assert that
research with animals causes severe pain and that many research animals are abused.
The activists do not feel the need to put the animals through such pain. Many of the
experiments are replicated also which causes an unneeded demand for animals to
perform experiments. Experiments which have already been proven are still being
However, animal research is an integral part of today’s society when thinking of how
much progress we have gained in human health with the use of animal experimentation.
To date some forty-one Nobel prizes have been awarded to scientists whose
achievements depended on laboratory animals. Vaccines against polio, diphtheria,
mumps, measles, rubella, and smallpox would not have been possible without such
experiments. There also would not be such important techniques such as open heart
surgery, brain surgery, coronary bypass, microsurgery to re-attached limbs, organ
transplants, and correction of congenital heart defects. The list goes on about the
medical advances that required animal research. Insulin to control diabetes and
medications important in the management of asthma, epilepsy, arthritis, ulcers, and
hypertensions are a few more to add to the list. To take animal research away would
also be to halt our society’s advancement of more procedures and more medicines to
enhanc he better living of humans.
In addition, there are no alternatives to animal experimentation that can give the same
results that it can. In certain research investigations, cell, tissue, organ cultures, and
computer models can be used at least in the preliminary phases of the investigation.
However, in many experimental situations, culture techniques and computer models do
not capture the “physiological complexity” of the whole animal. Some examples of where
animals are necessary in research include the development of a vaccine against HIV
and improvement of methods to relieve mental stress and anxiety. These challenges
can only be addressed by research with animals. Computer models and cultures cannot
get the whole body effect of an experiment. Humans are the only alternatives to
animals for this and when faced with this alternative, most people prefer the use on
animals as the research model.
Animal research is necessary to maintain our society’s well being. Many people think it
is morally wrong but when the advantages are considered with the disadvantages, the
good outweighs the bad. Animal Research is necessary to continued progress in human
health. If other methods were available they would be given a fair chance but for now
only animal experimentation works best. If all of the advances in human health were
taken away our society would still be in a primitive age. Animal research has taken us
out of that age.
- Animal Rights Essay, Research Paper Animal Rights Do you think a rat should ... a rat. Animals should not have rights! The use of animals in medical research is ... disease. Bibliography this paper is about animal rights and why animals should not have ...
- Animal Rights Essay, Research Paper Animal Rights Ever since The Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals in ... opinion up animals do have certain rights but if experiments, research, hunting and ...
- Animal Rights Essay, Research Paper Animal Rights The 20th ... Zone reveals that animal research inadvertently led to an ... McCarty 15). Though animal research has benefited millions of ... remains that animal research saves lives. Animal research must continue if ...
- Animal Rights Essay, Research Paper Animal Rights No animal should be killed ... back. Calling shooting a defenseless animal with a shotgun is not a ... point there is for animal rights is, Danger. Picture ... animal, and live the longest, but then we go and kill each ...
- Animal Experimentation Essay, Research Paper ANIMAL EXPERIMENTATION Holly Anderson was a strong supporter for animal rights. When she was ... and research due to animal rights activists (Fox 11). Another problem with animal rights activists ...