Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
18th Century Literature Essay, Research Paper
18th Century Literature
The 18th century is a period of great literary works. The styles are
different throughout the period, but the unity of the work is still present.
Much of this period focused on public and general themes, until the Pre-
Romantic era when literary works began to focus upon personal expression. 18th
century literature can be broken down into three main parts: the Restoration,
the Age of Pope, and Pre-Romantics.
The literature of the Restoration period covers a time span from
Charles’s recovery of the throne to the years until the expulsion of James II
in 1688 or until the death of John Dryden in 1700. The literature of the
Restoration was characterized by wit and elegance influenced by French
classical taste. This period pertained to traditional values and “wit”. The
Diary of Samuel Pepys written by Samuel Pepys and A Journel of the Plague Years
by Daniel Defoe are just a few examples of literary works from the Restoration
Period. The Diary of Samuel Pepys is also an example of journalistic fiction.
In the excerpts from Pepys’ diary, he shows the historical background and
culture of the 18th century. The reader is able to understand the values and
ethics of the time through the description detailed by Samuel Pepys and the
reader is also exposed to the life a man in the 1660’s. A Journal of the
Plague Year is an example of historical fiction. Defoe uses wide ranges of
vivid descriptions including verisimilitudes and imagery, to give the reader a
realistic feel of what took place through the eyes of a witness. This literary
time period also included works from John Dryden, who used elegance and
cleverness in his writings. This period ended about 1700, and enabled a new
age of literature.
In literary history, the first half of the 18th century is known as the
Age of the Pope. In this age, the writers expressed views of the public and
restrained from writing personal topics or expressions. In the Age of the Pope
or the Neoclassical Age, most of the literary themes were of social, political,
and moral life. The Rape of the Lock and Epigrams by Alexander Pope, and “A
Modest Proposal” and Gulliver’s Travels by Jonathan Swift are some examples from
the Age of Pope or the Neoclassical age. Most of the literary works in this
period used satirical styles to express a concern in society. “Puffs, powders,
patches, Bibles, billet-doux”, from The Rape of the Lock shows an example of
pathos a satirical device used in this age of literature. Jonathan Swift also
uses satire in Gulliver’s Travels to mock the Parliament, and in “Modest
Proposal” he writes about eating children as a solution to a socioeconomic
problem. After the writings, literature began to focus on private expressions
rather than public thoughts and emotions.
The Age of Johnson or the Pre-romantic era was shown in various ways.
Characteristics of the age included ballads, a new taste for ruins, Gothic
castles and tales of mystery, and secret societies interested in magic. Pre
Romantics wrote about a mood in which the inner world of wonder and strange
feelings that led to private thoughts and emotions. Selecte Poems by William
Blake and the “Elegy Written in a Country Churchyard” by Thomas Gray are some
examples of Pre Romantic literature. Both of this literary works focused on the
self, rather than on the society or public, which was the beginning of the
The 18th century was known as the Restoration Period. The people of
this period sought unity and stability in everything. The people wanted to
unify and stablize life, government, and even maybe their literature. 18th
century was filled with many different types of devices and styles of
literature. The three major literary periods of this era were the Restoration,
the Age of the Pope, and the Pre Romanitics.
- 18Th Century Literature Essay, Research Paper `The Rape of Eighteenth Century Society In Restoration and Eighteenth Century literature ... of Restoration and Eighteenth Century society illustrates a ... The Longman Anthology of British Literature. Vol. I. Ed. David ...
- Women In 18Th Century France Essay, Research Paper Many changes occurred during the ... greatly and more entertainment and literature was available to them. Women ...
- ... Literature Essay, Research Paper Question: Show how the voices of writers through many centuries of literature ... of the 18th century, romanticism sought to change the world of literature that ...
- ... Literature Essay, Research Paper Anthony Baldino Mr. Crudele English IV December 10, 2000 Arabic Literature ... . 3. During the 9th century poetry again began to decline ... 18th century growing western influence from countries like Egypt. 2. With literature ...
- Romantic Period Essay, Research Paper Romanticism (literature), a movement in the literature of virtually every country of ... static universal types of classical 18th-century literature with more complex, idiosyncratic characters ...