Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
Louisiana, known as a hunter and fisherman?s paradise, has been part of the Union since 1812. The land was part of the Louisiana Purchase bought from Napoleon for 15,000,000 dollars in 1812. It was named after Louis XIV. The capital was originally New Orleans, but was changed in 1849 to Baton Rouge.
In 1861 Louisiana seceded from the Union and soon joined the Confederacy. In 1867 Louisiana was re-admitted to the Union. In 1869, sulfur is first produced in the United States.
In 1838, the first Mardi Gras parade was held in New Orleans and in 1837 the town of Shreveport was founded. The new capital was completed in Baton Rouge in the year 1932. Huey P. Long was assassinated in the state capital in 1935. In 1973, a team of surgeons performed Louisiana?s first heart transplant. Two years later in 1975, the Superdome in New Orleans was completed at a total cost of 163,313,315 dollars.
Louisiana was the eighteenth state to join the Union.
Along with many different dates, there are also many emblems of Louisiana. The Louisiana bird would be known as the Brown Pelican. The state tree is the Cypress Tree. The state dog is known as the Catahula Leopard Dog. Our state flower is the Magnolia and was adopted in the 1900?s.
Louisiana?s highest point is Driskill Mountain at a height of 535 feet above sea level.
New Orleans is the lowest point and is 5 feet below sea level. Our largest lake is half the size of Rhode Island. New Orleans is also our largest city.
In 1800, Louisiana wasn?t part of the United States. Louisiana covers 47,752 square miles and is somewhat larger than New York. It ranks 31st in land size among other states in the United States of America. It might not be the same in a few years because the land area is constantly changing due to land erosion along the coast. It erodes at a rate of 16 square miles per year.
Louisiana?s climate is subtropical. This means that weather pretty much changes with the seasons. The average temperature in Louisiana ranges from 64 degrees Fahrenheit to 71 degrees Fahrenheit. The summer averages on temperatures don?t go below the 80s. The average precipitation ranges from almost 45 inches in Shreveport to more than 56 inches in New Orleans.
The earliest European settlers were the French or Spanish. The French came to dominate much of southern Louisiana, which makes up about three-fourths of the state?s population.
Even before European settlers came to Louisiana, Indians were here. In 1762 Louisiana and New Orleans were ceded to Spain in a secret treaty. In 1800, the Spanish gave Louisiana to France.
Louisiana is the finest place to live in America in my opinion. It may have been the only place I?ve ever lived, but I wouldn?t want to live anywhere else. This summer I took a trip to Seattle, Washington. You know, it was nice and everything but I wouldn?t want to live there. Louisiana has perfect weather. Seattle?s weather is pretty much always cold. In Louisiana, we have lots of different recreational activities. We have the New Orleans Saints, which is our football team. My favorite Louisiana tradition is Mardi Gras. It was first started here. People come from all over the world to see our parades in New Orleans. In Conclusion, Louisiana has a very large past and is a great place to live.
- Leukemia Essay, Research Paper Leukemia Date Submitted: 2000 ... they originate, such as Lymphocyte Leukemia. Lymphocyte Leukemia is where a Lymphocyte ... The second test was known to be “hypocelluar” meaning ... had been diagnosed with Leukemia as a result of the ...
- Lucien Freud Essay, Research Paper Lucian Freud Master of The Flesh Lucian Freud, born grandson to Austrian ... he used. Freud has been known to create displeasing, disturbing, renderings ... Girl With a White Dog . Lucian Freud was known as one of the greatest ...
- Louisiana Purchase Essay, Research Paper Louisiana Purchase When Thomas Jefferson ... to explore the little-known territory west of the ... expedition that might journey as far as the Pacific Ocean. The ... James Monroe went to Paris as a special envoy. Congress had ...
- Multiple Causation Theory Of Leukemia Essay, Research Paper Leukemia is a malignant disease of the ... age. This is known as the childhood peak of leukemia. Some diseases, such ... environments. The cause of leukemia is not known. But scientists have formed ...
- ... Classic Essay, Research Paper LAKSON TOBACCO COMPANY LIMITED Nature and Status of Business Lakson Tobacco ... in small pan shops as well as large departmental stores. There ... restaurants. ? Gift vouchers of well-known designer outlets. ? Invitations to special ...