Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
Capital Punishment Essay, Research Paper
In 1988, the U.S. Supreme Court Court ruled that persons less than 16 when they committed the crime may not be sentenced to death.
Currently, 14 states (California, Colorado, Connecticut, Illinois, Kansas, Maryland, Nebraska, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Ohio, Oregon, Tennessee and Washington) as well as the federal government bar the execution of those who were younger than 18 when they killed.
At present, 51 death row inmates, all male, were less than 18 when they committed the crime. Three fourth of them were 17, a quarter were 16 years old. Texas’ death row holds 20 of the 51, nine are in Alabama. Since 1976, nine men have been executed for crimes committed at age 17; none since 1993. In 1997, at least 6 juveniles aged 16 or 17 when they killed were condemned to death. In February 1999, Oklahoma executed Sean Sellers for a horrendus crime he committed when he was 16. In 1992, a defense-sponsored psychiatric evaluation concluded Sellers had multiple personality disorder. But the 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, based on a technicality (the issue had not been raised in the lower courts) said it could not grant relief. Thus Sean Sellers was executed because of a horrible mistake he made as a child. More details on juveniles condemned to death *http://www.essential.org/dpic/dpic6.html* are available.
Several national organizations are in the forefront of active opposition to the practice of capital punishment imposed on those who were juveniles *http://www.ncadp.org/skkmenu.html* when they committed murder.
Information on the executions worldwide since 1985 of juvenile offenders is summarized in a report by Amnesty International USA.
1. Amnesty International report on Juvenile Executions *http://www.igc.org/amnesty/abolish/juve.html*
found on www.deathpenalty.net
The imposition of the death penalty is racially biased.
Nearly 90% of persons executed were convicted of killing whites, although people of color make up over half of all homicide victims in the United States
- Capital Punishment Essay, Research Paper In 1985, fifteen-year-old Paula ... 2.) The debate over capital punishment is fairly recent in comparison to history. Most ... . With all these arguments in its favor, capital punishment should be seen as ...
- Capital Punishment Essay, Research Paper In 1979, Lawrence Singleton raped and ... I feel that people in society should believe that capital punishment is the only ... people should have justice. I believe capital punishment in homicide cases has proven to ...
- Capital Punishment Essay, Research Paper Throughout the history ... this complicated issue. Capital Punishment is in use for many ... this complicated issue. Capital Punishment is in use for many ... this complicated issue. Capital Punishment is in use for many ...
- Capital Punishment Essay, Research Paper This day in age murderers? actions are getting ... ). One of the basics in understanding capital punishment is the methods of which ... ). One of the basics in understanding capital punishment is the methods of which ...
- Capital Punishment Essay, Research Paper This page aims to discuss capital punishment as rationally as possible. I propose ... effect of capital punishment in the , then a discussion of the of capital punishment, and some ...