Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
Australia Essay, Research Paper
Australia is the world’s smallest continent and sixth-largest country. With
proportionately more desert land than any other continent, Australia has a low
population density. Lying completely in the Southern Hemisphere, Australia is
bounded by the Indian Ocean on the west and south and by the Pacific Ocean on
the east. These oceans merge on the north in the Arafura Sea between Australia
and Indonesia and New Guinea, and on the south in the Bass Strait. The
coastline length, estimated at 19,200 km (12,000 mi), is remarkably short for so
large an area, a result of the relative lack of indentation. Major inlets other
than the Gulf of CARPENTARIA and the GREAT AUSTRALIAN BIGHT are few.
A self-governing member of the Commonwealth of Nations, Australia celebrated its
bicentennial in 1988z. It is a federation of five mainland states (NEW SOUTH
WALES, QUEENSLAND, SOUTH AUSTRALIA, VICTORIA, WESTERN AUSTRALIA) and one island
state (TASMANIA), as well as two territories (AUSTRALIAN CAPITAL TERRITORY,
NORTHERN TERRITORY). The country’s name derives from the Latin terra australis
incognita, meaning “unknown southern land,” which resulted from a confusion
between Australia and Antarctica on early world maps.
In many ways Australia is unusual among continents. It lacks major relief
features and has a high proportion of dry land. The continent’s isolation from
other landmasses accounts for its unique varieties of vegetation and animal life,
and for the existence of a Paleolithic (Old Stone Age) culture among the
Aborigines. Except for Antarctica, Australia was probably the last continent to
be inhabited by humans and the last to be explored and settled by Europeans. It
is the only continent comprising a single nation-state.
Dutch explorers first sighted Australia in the early 17th century. Capt. James
COOK explored the east coast in 1770 and claimed the land for Great Britain. In
1778 the first settlement (SYDNEY) was founded at an excellent harbor on the
southeast coast. British convicts played an important role in the territory’s
early history. The discovery of gold and other ores attracted immigrants, but
Australia remained a primarily agricultural country until World War II.
Subsequent industrialization has been rapid, and today Australia ranks as one of
the world’s most economically developed countries, although vast areas of the
interior, known as the Outback, remain all but uninhabited.
- Australia Essay, Research Paper Australia INTRODUCTION Australia, island continent located southeast ... approximately 0.5 percent. To increase Australia’s international competitiveness, the government has ... $A14,016 to Australia. Exports from Australia to the US ...
- Australia Essay, Research Paper Australia is the only country that is also a continent. In area, Australia ranks ... Wales, Queensland, South Australia, Tasmania, Victoria, and Western Australia. Each state has its ...
- Australia Essay, Research Paper The name of Australia comes from the Latin word ... bucking broncos as buckjumpers. Understanding Australia’s most famous song, “Waltzing ... spots on the national teams. Australia’s professional sports have large enthusiastic ...
- Australia Essay, Research Paper Australia is an island continent and is located southeast of Asia. Australia ... meat , dairy products and wool. Australia usually produces twenty-five percent ... and Harbor Bridge. Australia by:angel mendoza Australia is an island ...
- Australia Essay, Research Paper Most Australians ... , Tasmania, South Australia and Western Australia. The two territories ... on January 1st, 1901, Australia’s six states were unified ... as the Commonwealth Of Australia. Australia was originally governed from ...