Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
The Christian religion, like all other religions has its strengths and
weaknesses in our modern society. Perhaps the strengths out weight the
weaknesses as this is one of the largest religions in the world. Hundreds of
people follow the Catholic/Christian religion yet still a greater number follow
yet other religions. Perhaps this is because they see the weaknesses or perhaps
it is simply because their parents have taught them that it is a sin to follow
The Christian religions do however present much more of an appealing atmosphere
than such other religions which are as large as the Christian. The Christian
religion is one of few religions where punishments for sins are not severe. In
the Christian religion, even if you have lived a life of sin, so long as you
repent in the end, you will be saved and given eternal life. This is not so in
other religions. Such religions as Hinduism for instance do not believe this.
For everything you do wrong you will be punished. For every action, there is an
equal and opposite reaction, if not in this life, then the next. Hindu’s also
believe that punishing the body is part of the path to salvation. Christianity
is nothing like this. Many Christians live in high?class society. Christianity
is one of the most appealing in that any sins may easily be corrected and that
Christians may live comfortable, if not wealthy lives without guilt.
Christianity, like other religions though, has many weaknesses. Although as time
goes on, Christianity is slowly evolving and trying to become even more
appealing to society, there are still many downfalls. One thing with
Christianity is that from day one we are given a guilt trip. We are born evil.
We are born with “the original sin”. We are at the mercy of God. If we beg
forgiveness however, it shall be granted. My grandmother for instance has been a
firm believer in the Roman Catholic faith. She, being taught in the old style,
firmly believes in going to confession weekly and begging for forgiveness. It
has been taught to her that man is born evil. All we can do is pray, beg and
hope for forgiveness. With such a guilt upon his sub?conscience, man can never
be truly happy.
Yet another strength with the Christian faith is that it is one of the more
flexible religions. Under the leadership of the pope(s), the Catholic faith has
evolved with modern society and become a more “reasonable” faith. Such practices
as not eating meat on Fridays, and so forth, have been abolished as the
Christian faith has bent to conform with modern society. Some people may see
this as a weakness. This is not so. The Christian religion has modified its
rituals yet the central beliefs have not been altered since the very beginning
of this religion. This is actually quite a good thing. A religion should change
as the modern society does and conform to a more “acceptable” approach to
continue its teachings/practices. This is one great thing about the Christian
A small, often overlooked draw back to the Christian faith is that there is not
any solid proof that Jesus existed. To the Christian faith, Jesus is the central
figure. A Christian will tell you that the Bible is proof that Jesus existed.
The Bible however was written much later, after Jesus’ death. Therefore the
stories contained have been transferred by word of mouth, which has certainly
been distorted and exaggerated. The Shroud of Turin used to be the Christian
religion’s artifact which was believed to be the original shroud that Jesus was
wrapped in when he was buried and therefore solid proof he existed. Recently due
to modern carbon dating, this “artifact” has been proven to have been created
with paint approximately one thousand years after the day Christ died. To a non-
believer, this is a major drawback.
One very strong point about the Catholic/Christian religion is that they
strongly believe in correcting our corrupted world. Many missionaries are sent
yearly to third world countries where they help educate, feed and provide moral
support for a people who have nothing. With such a practice in place, the
Christian religion has put a smile on faces which normally would never know
anything more than tears. Probably one of the greatest features of the Christian
church which helps it survive in modern society is the hierarchy system upon
which this religion is based. Such strong organization structure help this
religion in well organized money distribution, etc. In a modern society, such
structure is necessary.
As one of the largest religions, the Catholic/Christian religion is one of the
great religions which stills lives strongly among us in our increasingly modern
society. Despite its many weaknesses, the Christian faith has even more
strengths upon which its survival is based. Times may change, technology may
advance, but essential beliefs never alter.
- Christianity Essay, Research Paper Christianity Analysis Christianity was traditionally understood to be ... of Christianity is the special distribution of the various denominations, each ... belief that Christianity is the only valid religion. An essay by Ric ...
- Christianity Essay, Research Paper Christianity, the most widely distributed of ... are still accepted by most Christians. Christianity also had to settle its ... he renamed Constantinople. While Western Christianity became increasingly centralized under the ...
- Christianity Essay, Research Paper Christianity is defined as, “A major religion, ... no formal senatorial enactment proscribing Christianity at this time. Nero’s persecution ... , due to the practice of Christians calling each other “brother” or “sister ...
- Christianity Essay, Research Paper A common type of Email that ... : ? Many Fundamentalist and other Evangelical Christians regard themselves as the only ... true Christians. They maintain separate religious denominations ...
- Christianity Essay, Research Paper Religious Studies a) ... live with each other until death. Most Christians believe that ... or hurt. Bibliography Catholic Christianity Today – M.Elson and ... –Anne Jordan Understanding Catholic Christianity – Thomas Zanig and ...
- Christianity Essay, Research Paper Christianity is one of ... independent churches of Eastern Christianity as well as ... Army are Christian organizations. Christians also believe in preaching ... Also it may be because Christianity doesn’t discriminate against anyone ...