Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
Alcohol Essay, Research Paper
There are some 14 million people in the United States and 1 out of every 13 adults
are considered alcoholics or at least experience drinking problems to some degree.
Most people just don?t understand the consequences of drinking. Alcoholism is a
disease and unless something is done, more and more will be affected by this dangerous
drug. A bad withdraw from this drug can lead to death, not even heroin results in death as
many times as alcohol.
The majority of people see alcohol as a social outlet and does not consider it to
be as dangerous as it may really be. Alcoholism is an often-progressive disease with
symptoms that include a strong need to drink despite negative consequences, such as
serious job and health problems. The thing about alcohol is that a person does not need
to be an alcoholic to experience problems with alcohol. Just a couple of drinks for
anyone can result in irresponsible behavior, clumsiness, slurred speech, loss of balance,
If you are diagnosed as an alcoholic you can not just try to cut down on drinking
and think that this will help. Studies show that nearly all alcoholics who try to merely cut
down on drinking are unable to do so indefinitely. Instead, cutting out alcohol is nearly
necessary for successful recovery. Alcohol has direct toxic as well as sedative effects on
the body, and failure to take care of nutritional and other physical needs during
prolonged periods of excessive drinking may further complicate matters. Some cases
even require hospitalization. The effects on major organ systems can be dramatic. A
wide rang of digestive-systems can be affected, such as ulcers, inflammation of the
pancreas, and cirrhosis of the liver. The central and peripheral nervous systems can be
permanently damaged. In advanced cases, abstinence from alcohol may result in a
serious withdrawal syndrome, commonly known as delirium tremens, characterized by
symptoms ranging from shaking limbs to hallucinations and blackouts. This condition
can prove to be deadly even with prompt treatment.
There are some good things about moderate drinking. Several studies have
reported that people that drink one or two drinks per day are less likely to develop heart
disease than people who do not drink any alcohol or who drink larger amounts. Small
amounts of alcohol may help protect against coronary heart disease by raising levels of
?good? HDL cholesterol and by reducing the risk of blood clots in the coronary arteries.
Most people just don?t understand the health risks heavy drinking can cause.
They think of alcohol as a way to relax and forget about problems, but in fact it creates
more problems. Earlier and better treatment has led to high recovery rates. Despite these
encouraging signs, estimates of the annual number of deaths related to excessive drinking
exceed 100,000 in the United States alone. Economic costs related to alcoholism are
nearly $150 billion a year.
Work Cited Page
United States. National Safety Council and California Department of Alcohol and Drug Programs. Effects
United States. National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism. FAQ?s on Alcohol Abuse and
- Alcohol Essay, Research Paper There are right and wrong choices to ... drive. Some of the penalties that face drunk drivers are not ... before it is too late. There are many groups in today?s ... because a drunk driving accident somehow affected the founders. Many of ...
- Born Addicted To Alcohol Essay, Research Paper There are different characteristics that accompany FAS ... delay problems during their preschool years. Research has also shown that these ... difficulties, and safety issues are some of the problems associated with ...
- Drug Abuse Essay, Research Paper There are several aspects of drug ... . In the 1920 s, alcohol was made illegal by Prohibition ... rehabilitation or detoxification centers have shown a great decrease in ... our children idolize the same star athletes and entertainers ...
- Diabeties Essay, Research Paper There are two types of diabetes: diabetes ... the American Diabetic Association, Dr. J. Shan said, “This abnormality may play ... eat processed carbohydrates (i.e., sugar, honey, alcohol, mashed potatoes, etc.) you will ...
- ... Essay, Research Paper There are many diseases and disorders that may affect the human mind. Some ... not be legally responsible for their actions. There are more than one hundred ... weight gain. Substance disorders involve alcohol abuse or the use of ...