Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
Homeless Voting Essay, Research Paper
Why the Homeless Must Vote
You held out your hand and said you needed helping. They gave you a pathetic look and
kept on stepping.
The acrid rain came down and it soaked up into your shoes. You thought you had
pneumonia, but it was the homeless blues.
You had not voted when you had a home. You had not voted when you had a job. You
did not vote when domestic violence was not a problem. You did not vote when the house
was not on fire. And surely you did not vote when you were out of your head on drugs
and alcohol. Would you be concerned, and would anything have been different if you had
been a registered voter, and had voted? When you heard someone say, “it can happen to
any one of use,” would you have thought that they could have been talking about your
For a multitude of reasons, both legitimate and illegitimate, any one of us can again
become homeless. With that concern in mind, the issues and positions of the homeless
should be more immediate in the need for your attention. That concern should dictate that
you not take for granted the duties of a citizen, and not have to rely on the kindness of
strangers, nor be dependent on those who perhaps did vote.
To vote is to use the greatest weapon a citizen has at his disposal in a democracy. To vote
is to fight that corner of apathy in our communities, our institutions, in our homes and in
the homes that we once had.
To register to vote, and vote, by homeless people is a tool that was not always afforded
the indigent, and some of the harsh realities of needing certain kinds of assistance is
profoundly significant, in that you are in the eye of the storm at the moment, you can see
with clarity the needs. And in the aftermath of the storm you will have a perspective of the
legislation and the legislators who understand your plight now, and the same concerns of
those who may need services after you. The homeless need to align themselves with those
who have an interest in the homeless at heart, and vote accordingly. To not register to
vote, and to not vote does a great disservice to those who have died getting and defending
the right of homeless people to vote and truly take their rightful place in the affairs of
those who have homes.
nothing to cite ….personal essay
- ... Essay, Research Paper Does the American Political system meet the needs of the ... the needs of America, rather, why it does not the politicians. The ... handed out to Tennessee homeless in effort to ... 8% of America s support at the voting booths. But Perot s being ...
- ... Immigration 1800-1880 Essay, Research Paper INTRODUCTION The history of Ireland ... living on the edge of being homeless or starving ... WHERE AND WHY Many of the Irish were ... the late nineteenth century. As the second generation Irish discovered the power of voting ...
- Spanish Inqusition Essay, Research Paper End of Life Care and ... not gone into effect(7). The Oregon legislature voted to turn it back ... . (10) Why the growing consensus? Below I will list the reasons the Hemlock Society — and the majority ...
- Socrates Essay, Research Paper Socrates: A Great Philosopher Kimberly Whitaker ... more for the death penalty than there who voted for conviction. Why was ... poison hemlock), Socrates remarked that his actions did not merit the extreme ...
- ... Essay, Research Paper Should ... council committee unanimously voted to urge ... the question why marijuana illegal at all if its a medicine. The main reason why the ... the United States” (Grolier). The problems that society already faces with the unemployed, homeless ...