Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
Domestic Violence Essay, Research Paper
Somewhere in America at this very moment, a woman is being abused. She
will be left with bruises, cuts, broken bones, and scars. The scars that last
forever are not physical; however, they are ones of mental anguish. Her abuser
is not a stranger, rather her husband or boyfriend. In this country, domestic
violence is almost as common as giving birth. There is, however, hope for these
women; help is available.
Domestic violence occurs way too often in American society. There are
many reasons why people need to speak out against domestic violence. One reason
is that statistics show that most abusers will continue to abuse until they are
arrested. Another reason is that domestic violence doesn’t only physically harm
a woman; it also mentally harms the woman and any children involved. The third
reason is that help is available.
A man who physically abuses a woman can not be stopped unless he is
given counseling, jailed, or killed. He will continue to abuse until he is
stopped, and ignoring the problem will definitely not help it go away. Husbands
and boyfriends send more women to the hospital each year than strangers do
(Campbell 95). The US Surgeon General reports that, ?domestic violence is the
leading cause of injury to American women between the ages of fifteen and forty-
four? (Briggs and Davis 94) . Abusers need to be stopped before its too late
for their victims.
Women are not the only victims of abuse. Children who live in a
situation where domestic violence is prevalent suffer in many ways. The
psychological impact of witnessing violence among many children is just as
severe as if they had been the victims of physical or sexual abuse themselves
(Krueger 94). These children who witness abuse at home suffer in many unseen
ways, and too often their pain goes untreated (Krueger 94). If an abused woman
does not have the guts to stand up for her own safety, the least she can do is
protect her children. An abused woman an innocent victim, but the children are
even more innocent victims.
Many women feel that there is no one to help them escape domestic
violence. This assumption is extremely wrong. There are many organizations
designed especially to help abused women. A group called Violence Against
Women gives out grants that are used to create specialized police and
prosecution units to deal with domestic violence (Campbell 95). In addition to
Violence Against Women grants, the government issued grants to forty-nine of the
fifty states of $426,000 to train police officers to develop more effective
strategies to prevent violent crimes against women (Campbell 95). It is up to
the abused women to stand up and use their power to make there abuser pay for
their physical and mental violence. Help is out there, it is up to the abused
woman to reach out for it.
If you or someone you know is a victim of domestic violence, help is
available. This help can be received by calling the local Women’s Center at
The fight against domestic violence has just begun. There has been much
progress towards stopping the violence in the past couple of years, but the
violence is still too prevalent. If more people speak out against this
violence, the world would be a much safer place.
- Domestic Violence Essay, Research Paper Domestic Violence Domestic Violence towards women is a problem in ... again the civil matter of domestic violence being a “family problem”. In ... the number of cases of domestic violence each year until a suitable set of ...
- Domestic Violence Essay, Research Paper Domestic Violence in America Introduction: Today ... to me personally, is domestic violence. Domestic violence can come in many ... their parents abuse each other. As a child I witnessed domestic violence (fortunately mostly ...
- Domestic Violence Essay, Research Paper An American football hero racing ... University of Massachusetts medical center’s domestic violence research and treatment center found that ...
- Domestic Violence Essay, Research Paper Violence in an intimate relationship is often referred to as domestic violence. It is ... against domestic violence was a French woman named Mary Wollstonecraft. Wollstonecraft s famous paper A Vindication ...
- Domestic Violence Essay, Research Paper As you read a newspaper or ... groups. There is domestic violence, juvenile violence, hate violence, terrorist violence, and violence displaced through various ...