Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
The Apology, and Crito
#”Socrates spent his life wandering the streets of Athens questioning the citizens he encountered about their ideas and ideals. Because he questioned the ideas of the elders, and because some of his acquaintances had warred against Athens he was not liked by city powers, who brought him to trial”
Plato?s “Apology” gives the substance of the defense made by Socrates to the Athenians at his trial. Meletus, Anytus and Lyncon brought Socrates to court on charges of corrupting the morals of the youth, leading the youth away from the principals of democracy, neglecting the Gods of the State and introducing new divinities.
Socrates defense at his trial was not strong enough to convince the Athenians to set him free of all charges. He was not prepared properly for his defense; yet, he managed to convince a large majority of the judges to find him not guilty of charges, but not enough to send him free.
Socrates was wise men, who question everything, he was found to be the wise man in Athens by the oracle. Although he was consider of being the wises man alive in those days, Socrates never consider himself wise, therefore he question everything in order to learned more. Socrates lived a poor life, he used to go to the markets and preach in Athens he never harm anyone, or disobey any of the laws in Athens, yet he was found guilty of all charges and sentence to die.
In today?s society, no man can be sentence to die because he speaks out his mind, everyone is entitle to freedom of speech. If Socrates were alive today, he would have being able to express his mind with out being sentence to die.
When Socrates was sentenced to death, his friend Crito offers to help him escape, but he refuse to escape. He explains to Crito that if he were to escape he would be running away his whole life. He would stay at Athens and comply with the sentence as set by Athens law and die for his cause. Another reason that he gave Crito for not escaping was that he was already death alive and that he was too old to be running away .
I believe that by Socrates complying with he sentence order by Athenians, he got his point across and he stood up for what he believe in and he never back down. Socrates made a wise decision by staying and fulfilling his sentence; personally I respect him for doing that and standing up for what he believe in. If Socrates would have escape in credibility would have been put in doubt by his follower and he would have to keep on running away for the rest of his life. He would have never got in his point across and no one would have trusted him again. Socrates die for the right cause, he didn?t deserve to die but he did, he stood up for his believes and he never backs down.
- The Life Of Socrates Essay, Research Paper I. SocratesThe most interesting and influential thinker in the fifth century ... . Plato described the trial and death of Socrates in the Apology, the Crito, and the Phaedo. V. Apology: The Examined LifeBecause ...
- The Fall Is Going Essay, Research Paper Speak what we feel, ... serve Lear, and we meet the jester (”Fool”). A court jester might ... to go apologize to his daughters and seek shelter, and Kent, who ... serve Lear, and we meet the jester (”Fool”). A court jester might ...
- The Trials At Nuremburg Essay, Research Paper November 20, 1945: The beginning of the Nuremberg trial of ... the prisoner’s demeanors and the attitude in the court than the primary sources. The Calvocoressi book on the ...
- Apology From Socrates Essay, Research Paper An apology From Socrates An Apology From Socrates’ The Apology is Socrates’ defense ... 30 minae, guaranteed by Crito, Plato, and others. The jury sentences him to ...
- ... speech that Socrates uses in the Apology and the Crito . In the Apology , Socrates was defending ... himself and trying to prove his innocence. In the Crito ... his ways. In both the Crito and Apology he switched styles, from ...