Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
Arthur Miller Essay, Research Paper
Inspirational is only one word to describe the writer Arthur Miller. He
was an inspiration to many through his play writing. Throughout his life he
has had success that many dream of but can not achieve. One never expects
success to happen so quickly like it happened to Arthur Miller.
Arthur Miller was born and raised in Manhattan, New York. He was
the middle child with a younger sister and an older brother. His parents
were middle class much like the average family. His father was a successful
manufacturer in ladies coats, the average businessman and his mother, a
schoolteacher. During his childhood he spent most of his time engaging in
childish activity with other children playing sports, he was the average
active child. Besides all of the activity Arthur Miller attended James
Madison High School. Miller?s average family was middle class until he hit
the age of fourteen when the depression hit his family hard. His fathers
business failed and their lives had changed from that point. The family
moved to Berkland and all of the children, including him, had to get jobs in
order to support themselves.
Arthur Miller was rejected upon his initial application to the
University of Michigan. The people at the university gathered their senses
admitting him in 1934. While attending the University of Michigan, he
studied journalism and history. He was very interested in writing. In
Miller?s junior year he entered a playwriting contest and he won the first
prize of $250. The play that he had written was called ?The Villain?. This
play was based on his family and there lives. Miller graduated from college
in 1938 with a degree in English. Miler had established an organization that
communists suspected of inflation, and it had been abolished because of that.
In 1940 Miller married his sweetheart from college, Mary Slattery, she was
a writer also. During this time Miller wrote for the Columbia Broadcasting
System (CBS). At first his script writing was not working for him so he just
continued on writing radio plays for the public which he despised doing.
Arthur Miller received his first theateratrical break in 1944 by writing, ?the
man who had all the luck?, which was staged on Broadway. This play was
written about his life. Miller had also produced on brodway November 23,
1944. After that play Miller went into debt forcing him to writing another
play called, ?Focus? which was a huge success. It was such a success that it
was written into a novel afterwards.
Arthur Miller?s first success came in 1947 with, ?All my sons?, for
which he won the New York Drama Critics Circle award. Miller won many
awards for his wonderful work. He had the opportunity to work with a film
director named Elia Kazan. She was the person that did all of the polishing
up on the play before it went out for production. This play won Drama
Critics award in 1948. His next play, Death of a Salesman, stunned
audiences with his brilliance, it was quickly a classic of the modern theater.
Arthur Miller was awarded the Pulitzer Prize in 1949 for ?Death of a
salesman?. He was awarded many upon many awards during his life.
Arthur Miller?s life was filled with accomplishment and success.
Miller was a huge success when, The Crucible, came to the people around
the world. The Crucible, won many awards and a classic known to many.
Although he had a rough childhood it did not stop him from his dreams. He
has come to be considered one of the greatest dramatists in the history of
American theatre and his plays, a fusion of naturalistic and expressionistic
techniques, continue to be widely produced. Overall he was a wonderful and
very successful man that is admired by many around the world.
Centola, Steven; The Achievement of Arthur Miller. Contemporary Research Associates. New York NY, 1995
Bloom, Harold, Arthur Miller. Chelsea House Publishers. San Diego CA, 1992
Carson, Neil, Arthur Miller. St. Martins Press Inc. New York NY, 1988
Ram, Atma, Perspectives on Arthur Miller. South Asia Books. New York NY, 1998
- Arthur Miller Essay, Research Paper Arthur Miller, in his plays, deals ... ” (Bloom, Modern Critical Interpretations: Arthur Miller’s The Crucible 3). Reverend Parris has ... ” (Bloom, Modern Critical Interpretations: Arthur Miller’s All My Sons 28). “I ...
- Arthur Miller Essay, Research Paper Arthur Miller Arthur Miller found himself ... forgotten autobiographical fragment that Miller had written when he ... of dramatic form. Arthur Miller was born on October ... who for most of Arthur’s youth, succesfully manufactured ...
- Arthur Miller Essay, Research Paper Inspirational is only one word to describe the writer Arthur Miller. He ... it happened to Arthur Miller. (Glassman 56) Arthur Miller was born and ... a modern day witch-hunt. Arthur Miller?s life was filled with accomplishment ...
- Arthur Miller Essay, Research Paper The Crucible Arthur Miller Introduction Arthur Miller was an American playwright ... accusing each other of Pro-Communist beliefs. Many of Miller’s ... Proctor’s struggle, Miller displays the struggles within each of our own ...
- Arthur Miller Essay, Research Paper An Analysis of Arthur Miller’s Death of a Salesman and ... true for two characters in Arthur Miller’s plays Death of a ... In these two plays Miller portays two lower-middle ... it worse. Similarly in Miller’s The Price the main ...