Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
Borned Poisoned Essay, Research Paper
The most disgusting thing in this world in my opinion, is when a pregnant woman
drinks or smokes. Women who drink during their pregnancy don’t know that alcohol
can fatally harm the unborn baby. Most of these women drink during their pregnancy
with out any knowledge of the consequences. “An estimated 40,000 babies are born each
year in the United States with alcohol-related birth defects. The actual figures may be
higher.”(Poisoned in the womb, p.53) The baby can be born with a lot of different kinds
of birth defects. Women, who drink very heavily during their pregnancy, have babies
that are born with Fetus Alcohol Syndrome.
Drinking alcohol can lead to the baby’s slow brain development, mental
retardation, face deformities, and even death. “Premature birth was associated with
alcohol consumption during pregnancy.”(Alcohol and the fetus, p.41) The reasons for
the mother’s drinking might be peer pressure at parties or social events, age or
occupation. It is very hard to take care of the baby that is born with FAS. The effects of
the alcohol will basically last for life.
“Fetus Alcohol Syndrome, described by American researchers in 1973, is the
most severe form of alcohol-induced malformation.” (Poisoned in the womb, p. 44)
“Fetus Alcohol Syndrome is one of the three leading causes of mental retardation.”
(Poisoned in the womb, p.49) It is very hard to take care of babies with birth
defects. They will remain in intensive care for weeks or months after their birth. Their
nervous system is severely damaged, and it is hard to calm them down when they are
crying. Sometimes they become irritated to a touch, or they could become completely
withdraw and show no emotions to their caretaker. It is very hard to feed them. Their
brain development is very slow. Parents who were expected to have a laughing and
healthy baby, become disappointed. The difficulties to care for these babies lead to
neglect or abuse.
“Family stresses, including those related to alcohol abuse, may lead to abuse and
neglect and further add to the problems of the affected children.” (Poisoned in the womb,
p. 540) Parents get mentally frustrated and physically tired of taking care of the baby.
There are more fights and arguments going on in these families. The parents will turn to
alcohol to escape the problems of their world. The baby will be neglected and abused
and that will create even more problems for the baby and the parents. “Children of
alcoholics are three times more likely to be expelled from school, or drop out, get in
trouble or attempt a suicide” (Poisoned in the womb, p.50)
“Fetus alcohol Syndrome is a life long impairment for the children effected. Early identification and intervention can help to improve the overall functioning level of the child by maximizing strengths and preventing social and emotional problems. Many of the affected children, perhaps most of the affected children, however, are not receiving needed services at an early age.” (Poisoned in the womb, p. 50)
Affected babies will need parents that would be kind, strong and will have enough
patience to take care of them. These babies will need a lot of positive attention. To
improve their functioning level, the parents should take one step at a time and always
provide the baby with what it needs. Affected babies will never recover if they are
neglected or abused. It will only create even more problems for the affected baby.
One time I was invited to a high school graduation party. A special room was
reserved for fifty people. It was very loud and cigarette smoke covered the whole room.
Everyone was drinking and dancing. Then I saw a girl that was about five or six months
pregnant, holding a bottle of beer almost empty. I felt so sad watching her damage her
own baby. I thought, “how can she drink during her pregnancy?” She was about sixteen
or seventeen years of age and probably didn’t know the consequences, or peer pressure
had something to do with it. I decided to walk over to her and explain that she shouldn’t
be drinking. When I came up to her, she seemed already drunk. All of her friends were
drinking too. I guess she didn’t want to be an outsider.
In conclusion, babies with Fetus Alcohol Syndrome are born to those women who
drink very heavily during their pregnancy. I think that there should be special schools or
classes for mothers to be, educating them what will happen to their babies if they drink
during their pregnancy. It is so sad and unfair to the baby, which can be born beautiful
and healthy, but instead is born with multiple birth defects. It is the mother’s decision to
drink while she is pregnant and only the she is responsible for her baby’s health.
McCuen, Gary E.
Born Hooked (Poisoned in the Womb)
1991 GEM publications Inc.
Rosett, Henry L. and Lyn Weiner
Alcohol and the Fetus (A Clinical Perspective)
1984 Oxford University press, Inc.
The Official Website of Yahoo
Jan. 1996 (alcohol and pregnancy)
- Hamlet Essay, Research Paper Context William Shakespeare was born in 1564 to a prosperous leather ... wounds Laertes with Laertes’s own (poisoned) blade. The queen falls. Laertes ... . Fortinbras orders Hamlet to be borne away like a soldier. Commentary Called ...
- Endangered Species Essay, Research Paper White, wild, and wonderful ... majestic swans are being poisoned from eating lead shot ... captive animals that are born to be wild? Furry ... techniques. Can scientists assess ocean-borne diseases without flushing a toilet? ...
- Vitamins Essay, Research Paper Vitamin, any of the ... defect that results in severe brain or neurological disorders (see ... influenza have not been borne out by carefully controlled ... excessive consumption can cause vitamin poisoning, kidney damage, lethargy, and ...
- Changes In Macbeth Essay, Research Paper CHANGES IN MACBETH In the ... commends th’ ingredients of our poisoned chalice to our own lips ... . Besides, this Duncan Hath borne his faculties so meek, hath ... a fruitless crown And put a barren scepter in my grip, Thence ...
- Bacteria -research Material V. II,I Essay, Research Paper Archaebacteria, simple ... Theodore (1877-1955), Canadian-born American physician and bacteriologist, ... diseases such as lead poisoning, and the newly emerging ... the causes of insect-borne diseases. In 1891 ...