Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
The Roman Rule Essay, Research Paper
The roman rule
The period of the Triumvirate
*Picture*For a complete visit of the magazine
please use the general summary After the murder of Julius Caeser in 44BC, Sextus Pompeius, son of Ceaser’s chief enemy, chose Sicily to organise a base for military resistence against Octavius, Mark Anthony and Lepidus who had formed a triumvirate and declared themselves Caesar’s heirs. Sextus Pompeius had easily siezed Sicily with his army and fleet and now the island took on an important role in the conflict.
A civil war broke out in Rome between the newly formed triumvirate on one side and Brutus and Cassius on the other. Both the latter had been the main architects of the conspiracy against Caesar . All supplies of grain to Rome were cut off, not only those coming from Sicily but also from other Mediterranean lands. Even the armies of the triumvirs were without food supplies.
In 39BC. the triumvirs were forced to recognise the authority of Sextus Pompeius over Sicily, Sardinia and Corsica but, however, a war soon broke out which left Sextus Pompeius completely defeated at Naulochus.
As a result of this defeat, the consequences for Sicily were extremely grave. Besides having to pay an indemnity of 1,600 talents, some of the cities which had offered major resistence suffered the deportation of their inhabitants.
?Reproduction, even partial, prohibited.
All rights reserved.
Triumvirate, board or commission in ancient Rome, composed of three men known as triumviri. The term triumvirate is specifically applied to the political alliance made in 60 BC by Pompey the Great, Julius Caesar, and Marcus Crassus, designed to carry out their schemes of political aggrandizement against the opposition of the Senate. This compact, generally called the first triumvirate, was not a triumvirate in the proper sense of the term because it had no legally constituted existence.
The name is also applied to the division of the government of Rome made (43 BC) between Octavian (later the emperor Augustus), Mark Antony, and Marcus Lepidus, after the murder of Caesar. Their joint administration, sanctioned by the Senate, is generally known as the second triumvirate. Lepidus was excluded from it in 36 BC, and it was finally dissolved in 32 BC.
- The Exclusionary Rule Essay, Research Paper The Exclusionary Rule The Effect of the Fourth Amendment is to put the courts of ... , dressers, rooms, the rest of the second floor, the child’s room, the living room, the kitchen, and ...
- The French Revolution Essay, Research Paper The French Revolution French Revolution, cataclysmic ... defiance of royal decrees and the mutinous mood of the royal army forced the king ... the end of the year, the invaders in the east had been driven across the Rhine ...
- The Lost Czar Essay, Research Paper The dynasty of Romanov ... used to transfer the Royal Family over the 1800 miles of ... Duchess Olga, the Tsar’s sister. With two people in the room besides Shura ... Irene, recognized her. Each one of the royal families who denied ...
- The Illustrated Man Essay, Research Paper THE ILLUSTRATED MAN This is a collection ... all too real. He calls in an expert to check the nursery out. The room ... , little food, jungle rot, and the rain, rain, rain, forever beating him down proved ...
- The Yellow Wallpaper Essay, Research Paper The Yellow Wallpaper – Journey into Insanity In “The Yellow Wallpaper”, by ... admits she has a real problem until the end of the story — at which ... not loose her way around the room. When her husband sees what ...