Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
Cloning Endangered Species Essay, Research Paper
Cloning is the production of duplicate copies of genetic materials, cells, or entire multi-cellular living materials. For years cloning had only been a fantasy, but with new scientific research cloning can be very successful. Because there are so many advantages in areas like agriculture, medicine, and biological research in producing genetically identical organisms, artificial cloning has become the focus of attention with scientists today.
“At last there is hope of saving endangered species. We might be able to witness the cloning of now nearly extinct condors, tigers, rhinoceroses, and so many other living marvels.” That was a quote from Jose F. Jaramillo; a man who has written many essays on the hope of cloning endangered species. There are so many animals that are nearly extinct which could benefit greatly by cloning. Cloning endangered species would take a lot of time and it would be and extremely difficult process. Just look at the sheep that got cloned, Dolly. It took 276 tries to clone Dolly. So at the moment the success rate of cloning endangered animals is very low. But it is very possible to do.
The history of cloning goes back to 1938 when a German scientist suggested removing the nucleus, which contains the genes, from an egg cell and replacing it with the nucleus from another cell, but back then the tools and technology to do such a task didn’t exist.
Then, in 1952, scientists took the nucleus out of the cell of a frog embryo and put it into a denucleated frog cell, but the egg didn’t develop. In 1970, another scientist tried to do the same thing. But this time the eggs hatched and went into tadpole mode. But the tadpoles always died.
Finally in 1984, scientists reported the successful cloning of a sheep. Cells from an early post-fertilization stage of development were taken out and put into a denucleated egg of a second sheep. The second sheep gave birth to a healthy lamb with cells having the genes from the original. In 1994 calf clones were produced. In 1996 scientists in Scotland cloned a sheep named Dolly.
Cloning has never been tried on endangered species before. But since cloning has been done on other mammals it is very possible that it can be done on endangered species.
It seems that congressional efforts to make cloning illegal are accelerating. Also, congress may go beyond cloning, they may try to stop research on important new infertility therapies.
Many people are saying that cloning endangered species just isn’t ethical, while others are saying that it must be done before they go extinct. Currently nothing but debating the efforts of cloning is going on.
Currently scientists are trying to find possible ways to clone human beings, but protesters are getting in the way bringing up the ethics of it all, one anonymous citizen stated, “It just is not ethical. Why should we be cloning human beings while at the same time too many are being produced every day naturally”
A bill was written by Sampson G. Smith to encourage the cloning of cloning of endangered species. It basically says that cloning can only be operated by qualified scientists and approved companies and we will be able to clone endangered species before they go extinct.
Some endangered species that are being killed are elephants for it’s ivory, the sharks for their and whales for their oils, the leopard for it’s fur, and the rhinoceroses for their horns. Many species all over the world are becoming endangered and very close to becoming extinct. Cloning is needed to save these animals from extinction.
Extinct animals would be very hard to clone. A female can’t normally give birth to an animal of a different species, but it is not yet clear whether a female of a closely related species could give birth to a clone of a different species.
Genes can mutate, or suddenly change, as a result of exposure to normal background radiation or certain chemicals or other influences. And some mutations may be lethal. Who know what could happen when you have a clone with mutations.
A big issue of concern when cloning is what this clone may bring in the world. They could be bringing new diseases into this world that have not been here before and spread it to other creatures and humans.
I think that if we could clone endangered species it would be wonderful. We could take a walk outside and see beautiful creatures in person that before we could only see in pictures.
I think that cloning should be started right away before some of these animals go extinct and we will never have the chance to see one ever again. The process of this should be well thought out and the species with the lowest population should be cloned first.
- Causes Of Endangered Species Essay, Research Paper CAUSES OF ENDANGERED SPECIES The term endangered is used by international ... And now that scientists have cloned the last surviving member of ... would be only a quick fix. “Cloning would provide us with individual ...
- Cloning Essay, Research Paper CLONING: Is it really worth it? ... benefit of cloning is that it could help save endangered species. When a species is ... beginning to become endangered scientists could ...
- Cloning Essay, Research Paper Cloning has many more advantages than disadvantages. The definition of cloning is to ... conservation effort to preserve the endangered species. (Cloning to Help Preserve Lions, Tigers ...
- Cloning Essay, Research Paper CLONING: HAS SCIENCE ... of using cloning techniques in breeding endangered species that have ... government funding for cloning research, Representative Vernon Ehlers ... the possibility of saving endangered species. If, for instance, ...
- Cloning Technology Essay, Research Paper Cloning can be a very sensitive subject. ... , and identical twins are all clones of each other. As long as ... and environmentalists trying to save endangered species are not having problems keeping ...