Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
Despite a veritable blitz of AIDS information, experts claim that too few
people are changing their lifestyles or behaviour sufficiently to protect
themselves from AIDS. A recent Canadian poll revealed widespread ignorance
of the fact that AIDS is primarily a sexually acquired infection, not
caught by casual touch. The survey showed that although sexual intercourse
among adolescents has risen steeply in the past 10 years, less than 25
percent of those aged 18 to 34 have altered their sexual behaviour to
protect them- selves against AIDS, i.e. by consistent use of condoms and
THE CENTRAL MESSAGE IS CLEAR: UNLESS ABSOLUTELY SURE (and monogamy is no
guarantee) THAT YOUR SEX PARTNER IS HIV-FREE, USE A CONDOM (latex, not made
of animal material) plus a reliable spermicide (e.g. one containing
nonoxyl- 9). Studies with infected haemophiliacs show that condom use by a
regular sex partner reduces infection risks, compared to unprotected sex.
And regular condom use may bring the added reward of preventing other
sexually trans- mitted diseases such as gonorrhea and chlamydia or unwanted
Many educators say that, by whatever means, AIDS information must get out
to young people at an early enough age for them to absorb it before
becoming sexually active. Only by acting upon accurate AIDS information can
people protect themselves, their sex partners, families and ultimately
society from this disease.
Protection the only answer:
The best way to avoid AIDS is to regard it as a highly lethal disease and
practice commonsense prevention. Avoiding infection is IN ONE’S OWN HANDS.
People can protect themselves. To halt its spread, people are encouraged to
obtain and apply accurate AIDS information to their living styles and
sexual habits in order to reduce the risk of getting or transmitting the
virus. Sadly, health promoters claim that “reaching the many who don’t want
to know” is no easy task. Health promoters suggest that educators must
learn how and when to communicate AIDS information – in the right way at
“teachable” moments. Many Public Health Departments are now taking the lead
in disseminating education about AIDS with largescale public awareness
What of the future?:
Many virologists believe that since antibiotics became available in the
late 1940s we have become too complacent about viral infections, no longer
take communicable disease seriously, and have modern medical schools which
devote few teaching hours to anti-infective strategies. In fact, we still
know little about retroviruses such as HIV. Perhaps special virology
research centres, like the Virus Research Institute proposed for the
University of Toronto, will help to halt the tragic toll of AIDS and other
as yet unknown viruses waiting in the wings.
For more information on AIDS or aid for AIDS call: local AIDS committees,
Public Health Departments, or AIDS Hotlines (in Toronto 392-AIDS.)
In everyday conversations, AIDS is usually a source for humour. For
anybody who is suffering from the disease there is very little humour. The
best prevention is not the thought that “IT COULD NEVER HAPPEN TO ME”, if
that was so all the insurance companies would be out of business.
The most reliable person to be put in-charge of preventing you for getting
AIDS is YOURSELF!!!!
- Grateful Dead Essay, Research Paper ?Grateful Dead? The Grateful Dead ... great time they had. Despite all the down times the ... at me, such a stunning combination.? A veritable fat trip. ?So I said, ? ... with a traveling companion who aids him in some impossible task ...
- Aids – What’s New Essay, Research Paper AIDS – What’s new ? ——————- Is the ... into risky sexual behaviour. Curiously, despite a widespread demand for tests, ... still largely unheeded: —————————————– Despite a veritable blitz of AIDS information, experts claim that ...
- ... Sex Vs. Unsafe Sex Essay, Research Paper Safe Sex vs. Unsafe ... to fight it. Despite a veritable blitz of AIDS information, experts claim ... to protect themselves from AIDS and other sexually transmitted ... to protect themselves against AIDS, i.e. by consistent use ...
- ... . This “unprofessional” look aids in the aura of believability ... as a documentary in the “verite” mode. Similar to Guffman, ... evidence is characteristic of the “verite” style. A lesser known film ... War of the Worlds. Despite the numerous disclaimers throughout ...
- ... ” Is Machiavelli? Essay, Research Paper Throughout the history of ... Morgenthau and Machiavelli have aided in the structuring of ... politics. He has also veritably demonstrated that he had ... varying circumstances . Therefore, despite the knowledge granted in ...