Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
The Protestant Reformation Essay, Research Paper
AP European History
The Protestant Reformation
The Protestant Reformation changed the course of European history very strongly, and rapidly. This paper will talk about what exactly the reformation did to Europe, in terms of social, political, and philosophical impacts.
Before the reformation occurred, the general public was made up of an overall praying people. They accepted all aspects of the church, whether or not they personally believed in the idea or not. These aspects included indulgences. What indulgences basically are is a fee to the church, in exchange for the church to clear any sins one may have committed. People could even purchase indulgences for their diseased ancestors, saving them from any further punishment in the afterlife. With the reformation, the overall social beliefs changed dramatically. The public now doubted the validity, and truth of indulgences, and they even questioned their moral standing. The general society started thinking for themselves. They didn?t believe everything they now heard, no matter who they heard it from. This had a major role in the development of European history from a social standpoint.
The second impact in European history development was political. Throughout the reformation, one religious group was in argument with another. The Christian faith was now being split up at a wayward pace. What once was all Roman Catholic, was now split up in Lutheran, Calvinist, The Church of England, and also the Roman Catholic Church. The Roman Catholic Church was now battle with Martin Luther.
Finally, the philosophical effects of the reformation also had an impact on the development of European history. In the Protestant vision, true Christianity was based on “faith, grace, and Scripture, alone.” This is obviously quite different than the Roman Catholic belief. With the effects of the reformation, ideas and philosophies became more open, and spread out. People changed their views on the world, and Christianity. One of the most fundamental element in the reformation was the spirit of rebellious, self-determining individualism.
These three factors were the foundation of the reformation, which eventually shaped the outcome of European history. Probably for the better, some still argue reformation could have had some negative effects on Europe though. But whether positive or negative, I believe Europe would not be anything like what it is now, without the taking place of the reformation.
- ... Exploration AP Questions Garret Matteotti 1. In what ways was the Age of ... exploration because of the political turmoil caused by the Protestant reformation. France and England ... complete a journey. With the decline of the feudal system, each ruler had more ...
- ... Essay, Research Paper By 1945, nearly everyone in the African ... protestant hymns. Born in 1912, Mahalia Jackson was the ... corn. Working with the A&P Canning Company, millions ... the traditional funeral services, the procession reformed at the grave and then the ...
- ... and Japan fiercely protested fearing that the waste would be ... on the North Korean government to make concessions and reforms. This ... analyst for the Heritage Foundation, wrote an essay on Ten Steps ... 5th Reconnaissance Squadron Osan AB, Republic of Korea http ...
- ... Reformation Or Catholic Reformation?? Which Term Do You Think Is Most Appropriate? Essay, Research Paper ... Church in the wake of the Reformation than direct reaction to the Protestant Reformation itself. ... Paul IV, squeezed the bull ?Licet ab initio? from Paul ...
- ... Essay, Research Paper Chinese Economic Reform under Communist Rule Two years after the ... Shanghai within the last year (Tyler A1). These ... involved in the Tienenmen Square protests. These trials ... : Statist Legacies and Market Reforms, 1980-1990. Armonk, NY ...