Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
Fences Essay, Research Paper
In the play, Fences , by August Wilson, the character Troy exemplifies many traits, specifically, how troy is giving, honest, and responsible.
First is how Troy is giving throughout the play. Even though Troy has almost no money from his job with having to pay bills he still loans out money to Lyons any way, Yeah, I got it. You know why I got it? Cause I don t throw my money away out there in the streets. You living the fast life wanna be a musician running around in them clubs and things then, you learn to take care of yourself. You ain t gonna find me going find me going and asking nobody for nothing. I done spent too many years without (1273). This shows how Troy is without money a lot of the time, yet he can t see Lyons go without so Troy does give Lyons the money. Another instance where Troy shows the trait of giving is when he tells Rose, Rose I don t mess up my pay. You know that now. I take my pay and I give it to you. I don t have no money but what you give me back (1300). This shows that Troy doesn t keep his money to himself, he gives it to his wife so she can use it to pay bills or use it for the children and what she has left, she gives to Troy.
Next, is how Troy shows the trait of honesty. First, Troy shows this when he tells his own son Cory, that he takes care of him because he has to, It s my job. It s my responsibility! You understand that? A man got to take care of his family. You live in my house sleep you behind on my bedclothes fill you belly up with my food cause you my son. You my flesh and blood. Not cause I like you! Cause it s my duty to take care of you. I owe a responsibility to you! Let s get this straight right here before it go along any further . I ain t gotta like you. Mr. Rand don t give me my money come payday cause he likes me. He gives me cause he owes me. I gave you your life! Me and your mamma worked that out between us. And liking your black ass wasn t part of the bargain. Don t you try and go through life worrying about if somebody like you or not. You best be making sure they doing right by you. You understand what I m saying, boy? This quote shows exactly how honest Troy can be. He blatantly tells his very own son that when a man has kids, he has a responsibility to take care of them, which is true, not that a man likes his kids. Also, one notices that there isn t one instance in that quote that says love anywhere in it. This is implied though that also that a man doesn t have to love his kids either. Another scene where Troy shows his honesty is when he tells his wife he had an affair. Rose! I don t know how to say this (pause) I can t explain it none. It just sort of grows on you till it gets out of hand. It starts out like a little bush and the next thing you know it s a whole forest.
Rose: Troy what is you talking about?
Troy: I m trying to find a way to tell you I m gonna be a daddy. I m gonna be somebody s daddy (1296). This quote shows how Troy has to tell his own wife, probably the hardest thing in his life that he had an affair and he is going to be a father. That took some guts to be that honest with his wife, yet it shows how Troy still comes through with the truth on his own and confesses.
Lastly, is how troy shows the trait of responsibility. Well there is one scene where he doesn t want the same life for his son, I don t want him to be like me! I want him to move as far away from my life as he can get. You the only decent thing that ever happened to me. I wish him that. But I don t wish hum a thing else form my life. I decided seventeen years ago that boy wasn t getting involved in no sports. Not after what they did to me in the sports (1283). This shows that Troy is responsible for his son and that he wants Cory to get his priorities right and not be off chasing the dream of becoming a sports star so he can become a responsible man himself. Another scene where Troy shows responsibility is where Troy brings home his daughter that was the result of his affair She s my daughter, Rose. My own flesh and blood. I can t deny her no more than I can deny then boys. (pause) You and then boys is my family. You and them boys and this child are all I got in the world. So I guess what I m saying is I d appreciate it is you d help me take care of her (1302). This quote took place after the fact that the child s mother had died and that since Troy is the father, Troy lives up to his responsibility that he has to take care of his new baby.
All in all, Troy shows the traits of being giving, honest, and being responsible, in the play, Fences , by August Wilson.
- Fantasy Story Essay, Research Paper Deep in the City of Chic, on the plant of Decorous, ... castle in the near distance. There was an exquisite platinum fence around the large ... platinum castle. The fence and the gate were ...
- Sitting The Fence Essay, Research Paper Sitting the Fence Daru is a ... in the little town at the base of the foothills separating the upper plateaus from the ... sleep. Daru rises in the morning and finds his ... decisions he placed himself in the position of letting ...
- Auschwitcz Essay, Research Paper Auschwitz was the most streamlined mass killing centers ... fences 4 meters in height were built around both Auschwitz I and Auschwitz II. The ... corpses that could be burned in the incinerators, a solution was adopted to ...
- Hamlet Essay, Research Paper Gertrude is the beloved wife and mother in the play, Hamlet. Many ... When Hamlet shows up at the fencing match in such a sensible state of ... happening in the present, her son’s good, gentlemanly behaviour and excellence in fencing ...
- Fences In the play Fences by August Wilson, ... became a man at the age of 14. In the town, Mobile, ... he killed the man. They put Troy in the state penitentiary ... goes and stabs her in the back. On top of ... there were other people in the world beside him. Everything ...