Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
Gun Control Is It A Problem Essay, Research Paper
Ten-thousand, five-hundred, twenty-seven people die a year in a handgun related incidents in the United States. This number, by far, out weighs those gun related deaths in countries such as Sweden, Great Britain, and Japan, which number 13, 22, and 87 respectively.
What is the reason for such drastic differences in numbers? The latter mentioned countries have stricter gun control laws and they require bare arm safety courses. These laws have a direct relationship to the number of gun deaths which occur each year from country to country. Perhaps if the U.S. would adopt some of those laws the number of deaths would drop accordingly.
Winthrop addressed such a dilemma almost 350 years ago in his “Speech to the General Court” in 1645. Winthrop’s two main problems were where do the rights of people stop and the magistrates’ authority begin. According to Winthrop, people are naturally evil, and if left to their own devices, they will become even worse. Therefore, authority is a necessity. This same principle holds true for gun control. People here in the U.S. have the “right to bare arms,” but with that right comes responsibility. As an American with that right you’re not free to shoot anyone or anything at will. Government should create laws to protect the rights of others.
I believe stricter gun control laws and better education on the use of guns is necessary. People of the U.S. aren’t as rigidly regulated by gun laws compared to our European neighbors. In the United States it takes anywhere from a few days to a couple of weeks to get a permit to carry a handgun. However, in most crimes committed with a handgun, the gun isn’t even licensed. More authority is necessary to control the illegal handling of handguns. In England, guns which are permitted for hunting are required to be signed out, purpose of use stated, and the type of gun.
I also feel the person requesting a permit should first be educated on the proper use, cleaning, and handling of a firearm. This would help to avoid any accidental shootings from occurring. They should be made aware of all the laws regarding the handling of firearms.
To some this may seem severe. But as I stated earlier, these stricter laws do affect the difference between the U.S. and Europe in the amount of handgun related deaths.
In these controversial issues about gun control, it is my opinion that the United States should have stricter gun obtaining laws. If a criminal was convicted for a gun related crime, he should be unable to purchase a gun. For the average human being, if one wants to purchase a gun, he should have a complete background check, take a course, and pass it to show that you are capable of using such dangerous equipment, like a gun.
Just as Winthrop struggled with the conflict between people’s rights and the authorities impending on their rights, we today, have those same struggles. The right to bare arms and the responsibilities that go with those rights is just one of the many of those struggles we as American citizens have to face today. Had there been a better screening process to own a gun, the Lock Haven Massacre in 1969 may have been prevented.
- ... in gun control is not in the best interests of society, it ... gun control policies have a strong influence on making Canada what it is ... main aim of gun control is to make it so Canadians do ... . Many politicians feel that gun control is a good start to making ...
- ... of gun owners. It is the primary lobbying group for those who oppose gun control ... of Rights is often referred to when talking of gun control. It states: A well ... for a citizen to defend himself. Gun control is ruining America by imposing regulations ...
- ... Paper Gun Control, Why It Won’t Work Todd Gannon Period 2 Advanced Composition Gun control is a very ... politics. My personal view on gun control is that it will never work. I’m am ... . I know that gun control will never work the way it is meant to work ...
- Gun Control Is Not Crime Control Essay, Research Paper Gun Control is not Crime Control Americans are faced ... our present state of chaos. It is not gun availability, drugs, or lack ... in a no consequences format. I believe it is the movement away from personal ...
- ... what two sides of gun control have to say. It is very wise to ... a gun, where it is been purchased, etc. The Clinton administration has created stricter gun control ... many. Gun control in schools is a controversial issue in the United States. It has ...