Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
professional baseball player, one of the finest right-handed pitchers in the history of the game, frequently considered the greatest master of control. From 1911 to 1930 he won 373 or 374 major league games (authorities differ) and lost 208. In his first season he won 28 games. For three consecutive years (1915-17) he won 30 or more games; in 1916, when he achieved 33 victories, 16 were shutouts, a major league record. His career total of 88 or 90 shutouts is second only to Walter Johnson’s 110 or 113. Alexander’s earned run average of 1.22 in 1915 is one of the lowest in baseball history.
Alexander pitched for three National League teams: the Philadelphia Phillies (1911-17, 1930), the Chicago Cubs (1918-26), and the St. Louis Cardinals (1926-29). His most dramatic performance came in the 1926 World Series when in the seventh and deciding game, he came in as a relief pitcher in the seventh inning with the Cardinals leading 3 to 2 and with the bases loaded. With two out, he struck out Tony Lazzeri. He then pitched scoreless eighth and ninth innings.
After service in World War I, he became an alcoholic and spent his last years in reduced circumstances. He was elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1938.
E-mail this article
Print this article
More About This Topic
- Revolutionary War Essay, Research Paper —- THE CONSTITUTIONAL CONVENTION —- ... street was covered with gravel to muffle the ... month’s three leading Federalists, Alexander Hamilton, James Madison and ... against foreign enemies? Alexander Hamilton James Madison At ...
- Nova Scotia Essay, Research Paper Nova Scotia Nova Scotia, ... historical sites. These include Alexander Graham Bell National Historic Park ... tin, stone, salt, sand and gravel, clay, peat, lead, zinc, ... , copper, peat, sand and gravel, stone, and zinc. Some petroleum ...
- Gender And Relationships Of Children Essay, Research Paper Gender and Relationship of ... ’s sex differences in play. REFRENCES Alexander, G.M., & Hines, M. (1994). Gender labels ... Psychology, 25, 289-296. Turner, P.J.,Gerval, J. Hinde, R.A. (1993). Gender-typing ...
- ... Automobile From 1900-1945 Essay, Research Paper The impact of the ... pioneers. Ransom E. Olds and Alexander Winton formed a company to ... automobiles. Roads went from gravel and cobblestone to smooth ... to larger cities and each subsidized one another.39Automobiles ...
- ... gypsum, limestones and gravel. Forests of the ... his future in research. Sir Alexander Fleming did not ... забобон Huckleberry ['hAklberi] — Гелькберрі Pauper ['po:pa] — бідняк, жебрак ... ] — материк Eurasia [juar'eija] — Євразія Asia ['eija] — Азія Africa ['afrika ...