Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
Aestheticism Essay, Research Paper
late 19th-century European arts movement which centred on the
doctrine that art exists for the sake of its beauty alone, and that it
need serve no political, didactic, or other purpose.
from Europe, history of
To those who dedicated their lives to Symbolist literature and
criticism the name of aesthetes is often given, for it was at this
time, from 1870 to the end of the century, that questions of
aesthetics became the intense concern of artists, critics, and a
portion of the public. The phrase “art for art’s sake,” which the…
from art, philosophy of
Diametrically opposed to the moralistic view is aestheticism, the
view that, instead of art (and everything else) being the
handmaiden of morality, morality (and everything else) should be
the handmaiden of art. The proponents of this view hold that the
experience of art is the most intense and pervasive experience
available in human life and…
the belief that a work of art, especially a work of literature, is an
end in itself or provides its own justification and does not exist to
serve a moral or didactic purpose. It was adopted by proponents
of New Criticism in the 1920s and is similar to the “art for art’s
sake” doctrine of the Aestheticism movement of the late 19th…
art for art’s sake
a slogan translated from the French l’art pour l’art, which was
coined in the early 19th century by the French philosopher Victor
Cousin. The phrase expresses the belief held by many writers and
artists, especially those associated with Aestheticism, that art
needs no justification, that it need serve no political, didactic, or…
- Wilde Essay, Research Paper The Picture of Dorian ... within him. Dorian continues to lead a life of sensuality, which ... personal doom. Basil Hallward’s aestheticism is manifested in his dedication ... Lord Henry. He begins to lead a life of immorality, including ...
- Key Characteristics Of Modernity Essay, Research Paper Brief: What do ... Revolution and War. The late 18th century, and ... usually painted white for greater aestheticism – allowed ease of ... will have to be another essay. BIBLIOGRAPHY Atkins, Robert. Artspeak ...
- Importance Of Being Ernest Essay, Research Paper Oscar Wilde The world has ... more famous appeared in the late 19th century. Oscar Wilde was ... . As a tribute to Wilde’s dandified aestheticism, women wore sprays of lilies ...
- ... Picture Of Dorain Gray Essay, Research Paper The Picture of Dorian ... 107). Dorian continues to lead a life of sensuality which ... personal doom. Basil Hallward’s aestheticism is manifested in his ... Bloom 121). He begins to lead a life of immorality, including ...
- ... was a spokesman for the late 19th-century Aesthetic movement in ... the movement known as Aestheticism.This writer began what ... as Wilde insisted in his essay “The Decay of Lying” ... ENZYKLOP-DISCHES LEXIKON,JUGENDLEXIKON,AESTHETICISM AND VICTORIAN PERIOD) Sein ...