Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
On Campuses, Students Confront A Growing Racial Divide Essay, Research Paper
On Campuses, Students Confront a Growing Racial Divide
February 12, 1997
In the article, ?On Campuses, Srudents Confront a Growing Racial Divide,
it discusses the racial issues that occur on college campuses and nationwide
racism like the O.J. Simpson trial or the Million Man March.
For example, when the verdict for the O.J. Simpson trial came out, a
student or a group of students at USC made a flyer that read, ?I need to alert
all the whites that the niggers are taking over. Take up arms and defend
yourselves, my brothers.? This quote is discrimination and it should not happen.
When the verdict came out for the trial, I am sure not all African-Americans
were happy that O.J. Simplon was free. And I am sure that all white people were
not mad that he was free. What that student or group of students did was
prefudice, he assumed that all black people are against him/her and his/her ?
brothers.? That is not true.
On campus at Ohio State I have seen discrimination quite often. White
people walking by a group of black people and saying a racial slur or two
towards them, but not loud enough that they would hear it. Or, I have seen the
same thing vise-versa.
Institutional racism plays a big role on campus. One example is at the
Metropolitan Institution of Technology where a group of African Americans took
over three dormitory floors and named it ?chocolate city.? It is clear when an
ethnic group of any kind says that their group can live there and nobody else,
that is Institutional racism.
One thing that is being done about racism and more specific,
institutional racism, is the leniency of the Scholastic Aptitude Test(SAT). It
is said that the SAT is discriminative against minorities. Critics say that the
SAT assumes the knowlege of the middle class white culture.
- ... on the subject and what he feels the society should confront ... aspects of the issue. On Racist Speech Charles Lawrence has ... use of racist speech on college and university campuses has greatly risen ... by universities to protect the students. The case of Brown Vs ...
- ... entire performance day was on-line on the World Wide ... a a Power Play on racism, focusing on the Tl’atz’en ... Holocaust Center to help students comprehend the current exhibition in ... program called “Safer Communities, Safer Campuses,” which developed a forum play ...
- ... realize that many students, faculty members, and administrators regularly confront, and even ... engage in abusive hazing practices on college campuses around the United States ... the strength of Greek life on college campuses. The ideals upon which ...
- ... that they, the students, felt necessary. Students sought classes they wanted ... , but it was on the school campuses that where it found ... I do not condone nor do I comprehend some of the actions that ... in the city. I cannot comprehend how the destroying of one ...
- ... momentous way during this year. Students picketed and eventually took over ... were transpiring all over college campuses- even her own. She ... . This proves that college campuses genuinely were the place to ... to now comprehend the impact the year had on society as ...