Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
The Three Part Assertion Method Essay, Research Paper
The Three Part Assertion Method
There is a guy two doors down from me, here in the dorm – a nice guy, a
bit odd, overly friendly, and oh-so open. His favorite thing to do is prop his
door open, play on his computer, and crank the music. I generally like all
kinds of music, and I have been known to play it loud from time to time. Well,
this guy truly likes all kinds of music, and plays it as loud as his speakers
can handle it. It’s a good thing he has small speakers. So, here’s me, working
on my computer, trying to concentrate, meanwhile this dude is down there playing
some weird ethnic music, followed by the Star Wars theme song, with a mix of
hippie music tossed in, in no certain order. It’s a classic scenario.
Over and over in my mind I envision myself going down there, screaming
at him, telling him my mind, and slamming his door. That would feel great. I
haven’t done this yet, and probably won’t. While reading the Bolton chapter,
this scenario replayed itself over and over in my mind. Here is my revised
strategy, which might just be used if the guy bothers me again. “When you leave
your door open, I can hear your music in my room which makes if difficult for me
to get school work done. I love music too, and certainly don’t want you to not
enjoy it, but please don’t force others to ‘enjoy’ it with you. I noticed that
when your door is closed, I can no longer hear it in my room and there is no
problem. Thanks! So, what exactly are playing there? I have this great
game..” The first sentence of this quote uses Bolton’s tactic. The feeling
part, hostility and frustration, of it is implied. The last part implies that I
intend to remain friendly and hold no grudges.
To be consistent with the project objectives, I will briefly explain a
real situation in which I could have used the three part assertion method. Five
years ago, at the age of 19, I worked at a local Western Sizzlin in Harrisburg
as a waiter. I was one of the best servers there and made out well in tips.
There were two parts to each customer experience that determined my tip, and
this is basically true for every restaurant: my personal service, and the food.
I had my side down cold. The cooks, not a chance.
One morning, things were busy and the cooks were especially bad. People
were waiting way too long for their food. I went to the pick-up window to see
what was wrong. Raph, the manager, was helping out in the crisis. He told me
something to the effect of, “go away, there is nothing wrong.” I yelled in,
“That’s BULLSHIT, Raph!” He stopped and looked at me, confused, angry, and more
concerned about the situation. He said half a word, turned around, and things
did actually improve for the moment. Raph knew that my main interest was for
the customers. I was well known for being picky and a stickler for the best
service possible. I believe maybe that’s why he stopped his retort and realized
that I wasn’t attacking him. I loved the guy, he knew it. In this case,
perhaps the three point method should have followed later, after things had
calmed down. I did apologize for yelling, but did not explain it. “Raph, I
love working here, but lately the kitchen has not been doing an acceptable job.
T his frustrates me and makes me want to quit. It is not possible for me to
give the quality of service that these paying customers deserve when the food
consistently comes out late, or not good.” I did quit that job because of the
staff, not because I didn’t like the job itself or the customers. I still miss
- ... Michael Connelly Essay, Research Paper The Poet By Michael Connelly The Poet is about ... the above factors played into the diagnosis of a suicide, the knowledge of Sean’s assertiveness ... Jack had with Gladden before the FBI threw the bomb in did not ...
- The Evolution Of Elizabethan Drama Essay, Research Paper A. Quem ... the time. The language of popular comedy in the period was plain, everyday English. There ... Matthew Merrygeek, a combination of the classic parasite and the ... . It is asserted that he knew ...
- ... Essay, Research Paper Wilson, (Thomas) Woodrow, 28th president of the ... the first part of the ... The Democrats countered with Wilson’s New Freedom, which, they asserted ... Wilson now made the crucial distinction ... their critics, and recognized their achievements. The ...
- The Merchant Of Venice 3 Essay, Research Paper The Merchant of Venice I believe ... he could; Antonio made good on his word ... The three men arrive back at the castle and find Portia ... the three couples live happily ever after. But only after the women have asserted ...
- ... Essay, Research Paper As with any conflict or controversy there are always two ... contempt the British assertion of the greased ... The recruitment into the army of members of these social groups was made ... the early part of the twentieth century. As each side of the ...