Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
Character Sketch For Shiloh Essay, Research Paper
Character sketch for Shiloh
In Bobbie Ann Mason s story Shiloh she presents the character of Norma Jean
as having a strong personality but an emptiness deep within. Norma Jean is presented as
a strong character on the outside in the opening of the story. She lifts three-pound
dumbbells to warm-up, the progresses to a twenty-pound barbell. (Mason p. 46).
However as the story progresses she exhibits the emptiness which she feels. One day
Leroy arrives home from a drive and finds Norma Jean in tears. (Mason p. 50). Norma
Jean feels an emptiness toward her deceased child, her husband, and also her mother.
Her emptiness toward her husband may be seen in the way she interacts with him. She
feels very uncomfortable when she is around him. Norma Jean is always trying to find
something for him to do. When he arrived back home Mason states the she seems a
little disappointed. (Mason p. 47). The emptiness she feels toward her mother is
presented in the feelings she has toward her. Her deceased son symbolizes her emptiness
because of his death.
In the beginning of the story Norma Jean tries to conceal the emptiness that she
has felt for so many years. Mason first presents her as a strong character by explaining
how she works out and would like to become stronger. She may become stronger
physically, but nothing can overcome the emptiness which she feels. Norma Jean tries to
help her husband get a job, and she gives him a variety of ideas for this. She does not
enjoy being around him because their relationship makes her feel uncomfortable. Mason
presents Norma Jean and Leroy as having many differences. The two do not know how
to discuss their problems, therefore Norma Jean conceals all of the emptiness she feels
inside her. Norma Jean feels an emptiness towards her husband because he has been
gone so long. She has learned how to live without him but, the emptiness settles in due
to this. Norma Jean does not know how to express her feeling of emptiness to her
husband. Due to this, Norma Jean lets her emptiness overcome the strength that she is
perceived as having and decides to end her marriage.
As the story proceeds, Norma Jean s emptiness begins to overcome her. She feels
more of an emptiness toward her mother. She feels as though her mother, Mabel, is
always nagging her about something; whether it be smoking or that her laundry is piling
up. The scene in which her mother catches her smoking and Leroy arrives home to find
her crying symbolizes her emptiness. She feels overwhelmed when her mother starts
talking about Leroy and Norma Jean taking a trip to Shiloh. Norma Jean has no apparent
reason to go there. When her mother starts pressuring her about taking the trip, it makes
the feeling of emptiness overcome her because of all the emotions she is feeling. Norma
Jean believes that Mabel brings up discussions just to make her emptiness show through.
Mabel tells Norma Jean about a baby who has its leg chewed of by a dog, due to its
parents neglect. This discussion makes Norma Jean feel an emptiness in herself for her
A feeling of emptiness is created through the death of her son due to the emotions
which she felt. Norma Jean did not feel comfortable enough to share her thoughts of her
son s death with her husband. After her son s death, she bottled up her emotions and
never spoke of them again. They never speak about their memories of Randy, which
have almost faded, but now that Leroy is home all the time, they sometimes wonder if
one of them should mention the child. (Mason p. 47). Norma Jean could not discuss the
problems of her sons death with anyone. She let these feelings take over her life and
create an emptiness.
Throughout the story it is seen how the sequence of events that happen begin to
unfold the empty feeling that Norma Jean feels but how she is also portrayed as a strong
woman. Sometimes no matter how much strength one has, a weakness may fall over
them. Norma Jean s weakness was the emptiness that she felt in her life. She did not let
anyone know that she felt such an emptiness and this is what destroyed her and her
marriage in the end.
- Character Sketch: Julius Caesar Essay, Research Paper Julius Caesar was a ... would be sufficient a reason for the senators were another sign ... time, When Caesar’s wife shall meet with better dreams. ... He was not superstitious; for he dismissed the warning, ...
- ... Essay, Research Paper In Shakespeare’s play Macbeth we see the main character ... , Macbeth changes from a well-regarded and loyal soldier of the Scottish ... firstlings of my heart shall be The firstlings ... 's] wife, his babes…” for no reason, but his ...
- ... Soul Essay, Research Paper The Soul The question of the reality of the soul ... rather than psychological in character. Theology, physics, and ... and a remedy for prenatal sin. “Soul” is properly degraded ... The foregoing historical sketch will have served also ...
- Character Sketch Essay, Research Paper In 1828, somewhere in the ... eating their food fast, or slow enough. When Ivan dies, his ... him great pain and discomfort for the last couple years of ...
- ... : A Struggle For Acceptance Essay, Research Paper Gays: A Struggle for Acceptance “When ... important less for its intrinsic character than for the ... speeches by Martha Shelley and Marty Robinson were ... French medieval and Renaissance SociJtJ Mattachine, a musical ...