Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
Verbs And Their Different Kinds Essay, Research Paper
A verb is an action or state of being. Verbs are much more complicated than
this. Within the verb there is verb agreement, irregularity, and agreement. To
be a successful writer a person must master these conceptions.
A verb tense is the classification of a verb into multiple different time
settings. These different time settings, “tenses” as stated previously, are
appropriately named according to their respective times. For example, verbs
that refer to action done in the past are past tense. This method is also used
for actions that take place in the future and present. The exception to this
method is the perfect form: a verb can be classified into past perfect, future
perfect and present perfect. The past perfect tense is used to express actions
that happened before the time period of the regular past tense. The future
perfect tense is used to refer back in time from a point in the future while the
present perfect tense is used for events that started in the past and continue
into the present. These tenses are formed by using an “ed”. The different
tenses can result in much error. A common error that results from the
misunderstanding of verbs is the switching of time periods for no reason.
Many verb errors are found within the amazingly confusing realm of irregular
verbs. Accordingly, if there are irregular verbs there are regular verbs. And
typically irregular verbs are the verbs that most people have trouble with, as
stated above. The past and perfect forms of regular verbs ends in the suffix
“ed”. The past and perfect forms of irregular verbs do not end with “ed”. Take
the verb slide for example. This verb cannot be used with an ending of “ed”;
thus it is an irregular verb.
Verb agreement can be just as confusing as irregular verbs. Verb agreement is
the simple concept of joining singular verbs with singular subjects. Plural
verbs follow the same concept. As in all English composition, it isn’t all that
easy: there are special problems. Take the words each and every. These two
words are singular and use singular verbs although they seem like they might be
plural. This odd expression of subject and verb agreement is where errors
result. Many people will use a plural verb with the words each and every even
though it is incorrect. These two words aren’t the only odd cases; words like
“Physics” that carry an “s” may also seem plural although they are singular.
For example, a writer would not say that he has a few physics in his pocket.
Verbs are more confusing than an honors English teacher is. Unfortunately there
are no tricks to getting around these perplexing words. Verb tenses, regular
and irregular verbs and verb agreement are all very confusing, but in order to
master English you must master these verb concepts.
- ... Interview With Welton Smith Essay, Research Paper from Journal of ... let’s talk about the kinds of verbs that won’t do; then ... up frustration and paranoia — and people go out and buy the ... language, but different conceptions or use. WS: There are differences. For ...
- ... To Successful Business Letter Essay, Research Paper How to write ... different form the other kinds of composition. It is simpler and ... elements of a letter (and their arrangement) have been shown above ... forms of verbs. Passive voice is weak and confusing. ?A ...
- ... Interviews With William Stafford Essay, Research Paper Jeff Gundy ... and his experience as a conscientious objector, I had certain kinds ... And born different!" JG: I could think of some candidates there! ... participial, or finite verbs-where the transitions are ...
- ... From A Provicial Life Essay, Research Paper Scenes from a ... verbs are in the indefinite past – ’seemed to sleep’ and ... on it all, and there are gusts of wind ... the crossroads between two kinds of ‘type’ – ... social science, and reveals different things about the ...
- ... different kinds of "stylistic colouring" which are (a) neutral, (b) bookish and ... each idiom faced its definition. Puzzle Pieces Board The idioms and their ... both literal and metaphorical meanings: verbs such as ... students in groups to research and design a poster ...