Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
Letter On Lysistrata Essay, Research Paper
Letter on Lysistrata: A Plea For Equality
The first thing that I noticed, which you might notice also, when I started reading Lysistrata was the very informal style of writing. The second thing I noticed was the strong presence of female authority rivaling against the age old male chavinism of most of the early cultures including the Greeks. Even though the Greeks did acknowledge the women in society more than, for example, the Romans, the Greek society was still on the large part male dominated.
Lysistrata presents women acting bravely and aggressively against men who seem bent both ondestroying their family life by staying away from home for long stretches while on military campaign and on ruining the city state by prolonging a pointless war. In other words, the play’s powerful women take on masculine roles to preserve the traditional way of life of the community. Lysistrata herself emphasizes this point in the very speech in which she insists that women have the intelligence and judgment to make political decisions. She came by her knowledge, she says, in the traditional way:
“I am a woman, but I am not brainless: I have my share of native wit, and more, Both from my father and from other elders Instruction I’ve received.” (p227)
Lysistrata was taught in the traditional fashion, by learning from older men. Her old-fashioned training and good sense allowed her to see what needed to be done to protect the community. Like the heroines of tragedy such as in The Oresteia where Clytaemnestra kills Agammemnon not just for revenge, but to restore things back to normal, Lysistrata is literally a reactionary; she wants to put things back the way they were. To do that, however, she has to act like a revolutionary. Ending the war would be so easy that women could do it. This is what Aristophanes is telling Athenian men, and that Athenians should concern themselves with preserving the old ways, should they be lost.
Even though Lysistrata was published, if you can say that, at the beginning of the year 411 B.C. when a big war was still going on, Aristophanes had written The Acharnians which was about bringing peace. In Lysistrata, he is saying a little more about peace, but even more about gender equality and how this must be achieved in order to obtain peace and order.
I hope you will enjoy this story as much as I did,
- Lysistrata Essay, Research Paper Lysistrata By Aristophanes |We can ... to force peace. Taking on the initiative to get their ... The understand what is going on only because of experience. When ... Lysistrata is a strong woman, a very strong woman. She is the leader ...
- ... And Lysistrata Essay, Research Paper The Portrayal of the Main Characters in Antigone and Lysistrata ... with her state. Lysistrata takes the position of leader in her relationships ... as a leader to convince women of a prophecy she creates on the spot ...
- ... his gender bending ideologies of Lysistrata. When it all comes ... subliminally hint at. When Lysistrata decides to unite the women ... we used to keep as leather rations for when all else ... women. As a whole, Lysistrata may come across on a surface level by allowing ...
- The Slaughter House Five Essay, Research Paper THE NOVEL - THE ... frequently on the action, on life, and on writing itself ... to Billy (Chapter 2) and later (Chapter 6) as Billy himself ... war. - —————————————————————– NOTE: LYSISTRATA In the literature of ancient ...
- ... Poverty Essay, Research Paper Listen, my lords. You have fastened on the ... tra, chrysothemis, hecuba, helen, lysistrata. Answer: Achilles was not a ... ’ return to Penepole. Lysistrata was encouraged by the ... that defeats her. The leader of the wooers could ...