Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
Macbeth Essay, Research Paper
Macbeth: a Tragic Hero
A tragic hero is a person who?s life is determined by four elements: fate, weakness (in
Macbeth?s case, fear), poor decision making, and the realization of flaws with inability to prevent the
oncoming tragedy. First of all, fate is defined as the power or force held to predetermine events.
Fate makes its first appearance in the play when Lady Mac receives Macbeth?s letter which tells of the
witches? prophecies. At this point, Lady Mac is stricken with fear because she is afraid that Macbeth
will not utilize his opportunity to seize the crown, ?Which fate and metaphysical aid doth seem to
have thee crown?s withal? (1.5 29-30). In the end, Macbeth will have to come face to face with his fate
and deal with it accordingly. Secondly, Macbeth?s weakness (fear) is another element in his being a
tragic hero. This weakness is portrayed often in the character of Macbeth. Oftentimes, tragic heroes
must contain the element of fear, because it is a very humanizing element, so therefore without it,
they would be some sort of superior human, which they are not. They are still human, even though
they are heroes. In the case of Macbeth, his fear was created by himself due to the situations which
he has involved himself with. Eventually it is this self-induces, self-produced fear which eats
Macbeth from the inside out. In the end, Macbeth?s fear becomes a totally all-inclusive, all-
consuming creature which takes his life and virtually rapes him of his unlawfully obtained position
1) Aspects of Macbeth, Kenneth Muir, Philip Edwards, Cambridge University Press1978
2) The New Varioum Shakespeare, Macbeth, Horace Howard Furness, New York American
3) Shakespeare: The Tragedy of Macbeth, John Russell Brown, Baron?s Educational Series,
4) ?Double Profit? in Macbeth, H. L. Rogers, Melbourne University Press 1964.
5) Funk & Wagnalls Standard Dictionary, Lippincott & Crowell, Publishers 1980
- ... to illustrate the characters of Macbeth, Lady Macbeth, and Duncan. Since Shakespeare ... righteousness, then both Lady Macbeth and Macbeth must be malicious characters whereas ... others as displayed by Macbeth and Lady Macbeth’s deterioration and sleeplessness. ...
- Macbeth Essay, Research Paper 1998 07 December William ... Anna Brownell. “Macbeth.” Shakespearean Criticism. Vol. 3. Detroit, Gale Research, 19 Bibliography 1998 ... . Jameson, Anna Brownell. “Macbeth.” Shakespearean Criticism. Vol. 3. Detroit, Gale Research, 19
- Macbeth Essay, Research Paper THE NATURE OF EVIL How ... . Discuss their dramatic function. Each time Macbeth encounters something supernatural- the witches ... CHARACTERS Describe the way Macbeth and Lady Macbeth influence each other in the ...
- Macbeth Essay, Research Paper Wider Reading Assignment From your studies of “Macbeth” show to ... In this essay I will be comparing the Shakespearian tragedy “Macbeth” to ... Scene 5 Lady Macbeth comments on Macbeth’s seemingly gentle nature: LADY MACBETH “Yet I ...
- Macbeth Essay, Research Paper Still it cried, “Sleep ... span between both Macbeth and Lady Macbeth. Through sleep you ... blood that Lady Macbeth wishes for. Macbeth becomes emboldened and ... (I, v, 43-46) Lady Macbeth and Macbeth through sleep have almost changed ...