Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
Personal Writing: The College Experience Essay, Research Paper
Personal Writing: The College Experience
The biggest adaptation I have had to make in my life was moving to
college. Not only was it totally different from high school in relation to the
content of classes and homework, but it was also completely different from my
home life. I was living on my own, with new surroundings and new people.
Needless to say, this was something like I had never experienced before.
Generally, college classes aren’t that much more difficult than high
school courses. The big difference is that in college I have to do all of my
homework outside of class. There’s no study hall in college. I have to take it
upon myself to get to the library if needed or ask the necessary questions.
Another big difference between high school academics and college academics is
the importance of the test. Unlike in high school, where daily assignments can
help to pad a grade, the main source of grading in college is the test. With
possibly only three tests per semester in certain classes, I am under a heavy
burden to do well on each test. Also, with all of the independence I now have,
homework and studying are not always my first priorities. I would much rather
spend time with my friends, watch television, or go to a party than do my
schoolwork. I have found that all the distractions that are present in college
life lead to procrastinating. There have been many times when I have put off
doing an assignment until the night before. It is obvious that as a college
student, I have had to adapt to a whole new style of learning.
Another thing that I have had to adapt to is living on my own. Since I
don’t have a curfew anymore, I feel more independent than I ever have before. I
no longer have to worry about coming home late or tell anyone where I’m going to
be. Coming home means going back to my own place instead of my parents’ house. I
don’t have to ask anybody if I can do this or that; I can, for the most part, do
what I want to do whenever I want. This can have both advantages and
disadvantages. Advantages are that I can do more than I have before and I can do
more experimenting and exploring. However, this could lead to problems, such as
with relationships and possibly even the police. As a rule, independence must be
handled very carefully.
Along with independent living comes yet another problem: effectively
managing my money. College costs are rising every year, while financial aid
becomes increasingly less. Spending for college must be carefully mapped out,
because if money is not spent wisely, I might not be able to afford the
necessary materials. I must buy books, pay registration and athletic fees, pay
phone bills, etc. If spent wisely, money can go a long way. To manage my money
more effectively, I opened a checking account so I know what my money is being
spent on. With my checking account, I am able to see where I can cut back on
spending, as well as how much money I have to spend.
College isn’t made up of all negative adjustments, however. In college I
got to meet many new people and make new friends. I thought it would be more
difficult to meet new people because I’m very shy and reserved, yet I was amazed
at how easy it was to talk to new people and get acquainted with them. Everybody
is in the same boat upon arrival at college; not too many people know each other,
and usually they are very willing to strike up a conversation to get to know
some people. I have thus far greatly enjoyed meeting new people and making new
I think I made the right choice by going to college. First off, with a
degree I am almost guaranteed an excellent job once I get done with college, so
I’d be ahead if I went to college just for that. But there are so many other
aspects of college, such as making new friends, being in a totally new
environment, and living independently, that will help me adapt to different
situations for the rest of my life.
- Americans: The Colonial Experience Essay, Research Paper The Americans: The Colonial Experience America was not ... taught reading, writing, and keeping of accounts. The College of New ... of Pennsylvania reflected the vigorous personalities of two men: James Logan ...
- College Enivornment Essay, Research Paper Table of Contents Introduction Page 1 The ... of Anorexia Nervosa Page 5 Personal Hygiene Page 6 Illnesses Page ... Studying hard and writing many papers goes ... sleeping around, and experimenting with homosexuality. All ...
- College Expectations Essay, Research Paper Urban legends ... this by writing several closing sentences on the top ... the most pertinent problem that they faced. In my experience ... personal accounts from students that cover the same themes that the majority of college ...
- The Color Purple Essay, Research Paper ?The Color Purple? by Alice Walker is the ... personal reading. It is very easy to read, and the ... the author uses to describe the characters and the scenery makes the experience ... weeks before the writing of this ... in college when ...
- ... The Right To Essay, Research Paper Assisted Suicide, the Right ... people. Alain C. Baird writes differently. I think ... adverse experience characterized by the perception of personal distress ... hospital tarpaulins, and college students overwhelmingly agreed that ...