Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
When She Was Good Book Proposel Essay, Research Paper
SUMMER READING PROJECT BOOK PROPOSEL
Title: When She Was Good
Author: Norma Fox Mazer
Brief Description: I didn’t believe Pamela would ever die.” Opening with that sentence, this is an initially desolate tale of a girl, Em, who survives the dominance and death of her frighteningly mentally ill older sister. Pamela is crude, cruel, and reeking with sweat and hostility; most of Em’s life has been spent placating her. When their mother dies and their father marries another woman, Pamela takes Em away to the city where the older girl sits and watches TV while growing obscenely fat, and the younger one-at four-teen-tries to find work to support them both. The book begins just after Pamela’s death and then flashes back to their miserable family life in a trailer and the girls’ escape. Although we become privy to a couple of moments of true sisterhood between the girls, Pamela is pretty much fully monstrous and Em a victim, aware of the power her sister wields but only able to defend herself against it in small, ineffectual rebellions. Told by Em, the story delineates her pain with careful spareness, and while the abuse and indignities become somewhat repetitive, their overwhelming relentlessness conveys the weight of Pamela’s power. The book is at its best when showing Em’s tentative grasping for a new life of her own after Pamela’s death, when her dignity and hope begin to assert themselves and our feelings change from pity to respect.
Why it s a good choice : This book is a sort of contrast from the books read during the school year. The books read were about characters with excess pride, which in time led to their downfall of everything they had including themselves. In When She Was Good , Em starts out with a horrific life, she was vulnerable and needy. In the outcome, Em learns to have respect in herself, which is a 180 to most of the stories throughout the year.
How I found this book: It was voted in 1998 for the best teen age book by The New York Public Library, Office of Young Adult Services so I looked it up on Amazon and there was a bunch good reviews.
- ... Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck, O-lan showed herself as a very humble woman. O-lan was ... the modest woman she was. One thing that is constant throughout The Good Earth ... be the modest woman she was. O-lan is faithful throughout the book to Wang ...
- Say Good Night Gracie Essay, Research Paper Say Goodnight, Gracie is a book ... back on Jimmy s jacket. When she woke up, she hid it under her mattress. She ... . Her mother was worried she went back to school to ... first day of school, when she was scared to walk in ...
- ... her that she is a good for nothing whore. She believed everything ... yet, another woman. She in no way can offer good advice of ... meant her touching final good-bye. Was it just done for ... back the innocence that she knows she took and denied of her when she was ...
- ... father died of the disease when she was fifteen (Blythe 49). O?Connor ... O?Connor? won the National Book Award in 1971 (Bloom 145 ... readers, whom she assumes are non-believers. The story ?A Good Man is ... is affected by what she says, jumps back and shoots her ...
- ... a pot of as good broth as she could; but having no ... American Revolution twenty years before-when she was a soldier in the Continental ... retire for the night, she crept back and listened as the enemy ... Wheatley died, but the match was not a good one. He got her ...