Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
Logic Is Not Practical Essay, Research Paper
LOGIC IS NOT PRACTICAL
Who needs logic? Logic is but an entrapment ? a false sense of security to
let us rest easy at night. Countless numbers take solace in the world in which
we live, a world we know virtually nothing about, by forcing themselves to
believe that if something is intangible, or unimaginable, it is impossible.
The Spanish told Christopher Columbus in 1492 that he was setting sail on
suicide mission when he discovered North America. Logic had told them, from the
beginning of time, that the world was flat. Of course it is, at least as far as
the eye can see. But in this case, and in many others too numerous to mention,
there is so much beyond what the eye can see.
A modern-time example would be the mass suicide of 39 Heavens? Gate cult
members. They reportedly timed their suicides to correlate with the passing of
the comet named Hale-Bopp. They supposedly believed that their spirits were
going to rendezvous with a UFO that was enveloped by Hale-Bopp?s tail. How
preposterous! What an obtuse notion! I am sure these are the same feelings
expressed by the Spanish in the 1400?s. Who are we to second-guess someone
else?s actions? Our culture is quick to shoot down ideas that cannot be backed
up by logic. I feel that this limits the human race hugely.
We believe in God. As a whole, we are a nation built on Christian beliefs ?
?One Nation Under God?. I?ve never seen him, nor have I ever heard him ?
not in a logical sense. However, these facts make him no less real.
A common belief that is highly criticized is reincarnation. Some believe it
is absurd to think that all living things are intertwined ? that a human can
be reborn as a bird, or a fish, or a goat. I can?t remember every dying and
being reborn as a human ? or anything else, so I will straddle the fence on
Forever, we believed that life could not be duplicated by any other means
than by conventional reproduction. Once again, we have been educated otherwise.
In 1997, two world-renown universities conducted successful experiments cloning
animals. It began with sheep and monkeys, but now the race is on to clone the
Logically, we want to believe that this is impossible, but the proof of the
pudding is in the eating! There?s another slap in the face for logic.
Many people don?t believe angels exist. I believe there are angels among us
every day, in everything we do. Little Sara McCloud shares my belief. One day
last winter, Sara was boarding her school bus for the afternoon ride home when a
stranger approached her. The nice elderly woman was technically a stranger to
her, but Sara agreed to let the woman walk her home. Even though this was
against her better judgment, Sara knew the twelve blocks weren?t too far to
walk, and besides, her bus took a very out-of-the-way route to her home, so this
way would probably be much quicker. It wasn?t until Sara arrived home that she
realized the importance of this decision. When she stepped onto her front porch,
Sara?s distraught mother clutched her tightly in her arms. Sara had never been
squeezed so hard. Her mother had just received word that Sara?s school bus had
run off an icy bridge, just half a mile from the school.
The little girl reassured her mother that everything was fine, thanks to her
new friend who offered to walk her home. As she turned around to introduce the
sweet old lady, she was gone ? vanished without a trace. I feel that this is
proof that there are stronger powers working out there. Stronger than that power
in our minds ? logic.
While it is true, that seeing is believing, maybe sometimes we try to see
with our eyes shut. A wise teacher once told me that is ?OK to be ignorant, it
is not OK to be proud of being ignorant.? Who knows what may unfold in the
future? Practically every day logic is disproved. I?ll never depend on it. But
then again? never say never.
- ... Chocolate Essay, Research Paper Like Water for Chocolate- Laura Esquivel Like Water for Chocolate is a fictional ... she dies, meaning Tita could not be married but must devote ... close to Tita. Tita was practically raised in the kitchen and ...
- Loss Of National Soverignty Essay, Research Paper Noam Chompsky once said: ... political sovereignty of Nation-States is in jeopardy. Through the ... but of which corporations do not care about. The decreasing ... they consider unfair trading practices such as laws on ...
- Is Euthanasia Immoral? Essay, Research Paper Is Euthanasia Immoral? Mr. ... for this practice because he does not deny he practices it. ... people think that euthanasia is not acceptable in our society ... frail and are treated like terminal patients. The thought ...
- Net Privacy Essay, Research Paper The internet has brought mixed ... it. It is a fantastic information source but the relative lack of privacy ... stopped. Finally, something is being done about the practice of sending “cookies ...
- Is Feminism Harmful? Essay, Research Paper PART B- IS FEMINISM A HARMFUL ... departments to establish less demanding physical examinations ... homosexuals. (2) It is not morally acceptable to discriminate ... the actual practice of homosexuality is morally acceptable ...