Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
Can We Debate Art? Essay, Research Paper
subject = philosophy
title = can we debate art?
papers = Can we debate
art? When I first began thinking about this topic, it seemed as if
a fairly simple subject. Of course we could debate art, critics and the average
citizen have done it
for years debating over which pieces are their favorites.
As I began to think
about the subject and received feedback from the class,
this topic became infinitely more complicated with questions like:
art, could we saw that one person’s art is better than another’s,
is it (and is it justified) that people such as Van Gogh
and Picasso have
become famous? Looking back at what my initial feelings were and how
have developed over the weeks, I noticed that my ideas and principles
not changed drastically by the in-class discussions, but were refined and given
“ammunition” that took my thinking from a highly generalized level to
where I could express my feelings better and possibly inspire other’s
thinking as well.
Can we debate art? Although it is perhaps an unanswerable
question, there are a few
points I feel should be discussed.
of the issues that I thought about was a problem in the basic definition of
What could be defined as art? Does it have to be “pleasing to the eye”
or “something that does not
offend or ridicule”? One example was a piece
done where a person had placed a crucifix
upside-down…was this art? I decided
that it was, based on my belief that anything, although it may seem offensive
even repulsive, should be considered as art as long as one person, maybe only
the artist himself, was somehow affected by it.
Reading that sentence over
I suddenly realize how difficult it is to discuss this issue.
It seems as
if we are to debate art we needa list of requirements that need to be fulfilled,
“master checklist” on what can and cannot be considered art. It seems the
more we think about what art is, the more the true
meaning and feeling that
is the nature of art is somehow stifled and suppressed.
Let’s leave this
definition alone and move to the debate over why the master artists, studied
for years, are indeed that–masters.
The main issue I tried
to debate on this topic was how people
could deem some artist great and awe
at his work hung in the Louvre,
while the work done by “Lil’ Johnnies” (metaphor
for a work done by a child
or any other “technically imperfect artist), produced
with similar if not exact materials, make it only as far as the household
To this question I felt that the master artist,
regardless of the material
or style, was somehow able to inspire people to such an extent that word eventually
spread about his work.
His fame and good name is ensured over time by the
universal message a master’s work presents. It may have been produced because
of a past
event, but the emotions and thoughts it provokes are innate in human
Writing this paper, I had prepared to
attack this computer’s keys and crank out several main points I felt were essential
argument or whether art can be debated. The problem with this subject
is that the further I began to write about it, the further I got away from
Can we debate art? In hopes of getting a definite answer, no,
we cannot debate art. It is my conclusion that people
should discuss art
by showing others what artwork you love and were influenced by, not by trying
to figure out how many
people have to like a painting to be considered a
master artist. Talk about art, make art, and love art, but avoid trying to
somehting that by nature defies definition, abhors definition, and
loses its meaning through definition. I love art,
but I can and never want
to tell it who it has to be.
- ... Censorship Of Art Essay, Research Paper The Censorship of Art Things are heating ... her performance helped spur debate over how the NEA ... fury these two institutions. We as a society have the ... studies federal funding of art http://cnn.com March 3, 1998 Christian ...
- Censorship In Art Essay, Research Paper Censorship is usually ... and present issues. We should oppose censorship in ... of alternative sexual orientation can artists truly express themselves ... homosexual advocacy. The debates raging about Mapplethorpe often ...
- ... Art Essay, Research Paper Greek art is a very important in the upper paleolithic period. Art ... among living things. Nevertheless, we can safely conjecture that both the ... guiding principle for art, even as Greek philosophers debated the intellectual value ...
- Pop Art Essay, Research Paper Throughout the period that covered ... dominant in the work. However, we see a line of three figures ... dominated social life, and which can ‘carnivalize’ it, is visually ... the content of art was very much debated in the late ...
- Art And Photograhy Essay, Research Paper in this paper I intend to introduce to the ... an economical price. yet, today we can see that the beetle is ... 80s that constitute a debate about modernist history. 5) Pop art Author: Tim Osterwold ...