Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
Literary Analysis: The Storm Essay, Research Paper
The plot of the story "The Storm" by Kate Chopin is a conventional everyday
plot. The story would not be so interesting if it weren’t for the last line of the
story; "So the storm passed and everyone was happy." What did she mean by
the closing line? My interpretation of the story is that she meant the rocky part
of both Calixta and Alcee’s mariage had passed along with the storm. Both
Alcee and Calixta cheated on their spouse, however, they both knew that
when the stor was over they would return to faithfulness with their mates.
Alcee obviously felt regretful, as indicated when the author writes; "It was a
loving letter full of tender solicitude." He then went on to say "although he
missed them, he was willing to bear the separation a while longer-realizing that
their health and pleasure were the first things to be considered." These quotes
were taken from the letter Alcee had written to his wife. The storm had
passed and it looked as if everyone in Alcee’s situation was going to be
happy. As for Calixta, she was extremely happy to see her son and husband
return home safely, as indicated in the story; "She had clasped Bibi and was
kissing him effusively." Calixta then went on to Bobinot and "Felt him to see if
he was dry, and seemed to express nothing but satisfaction at their safe
return." Calixta had also withstood the storm of her marriage and everyone
seemed to be happy too. Alcee and Calixta both seemed to realize they were
blessed with loving spouses. In their moment of passion they did not realize
how lucky they both were. I feel they both came to grips with the fact that
what happened between them was an act of lust and there were no feelings
involved. The moment was very arousing to each of them but when the storm
was over so was the act of lust and betrayal. My opinion is, this act was going
to help both Alcee’s and Calixta’s marriage rather than hurt it, as long as their
respective spouses do not find out what happened during the storm. I bring
this up because both guilty parties involved seemed to come away fromthe
incident loving their spouses more and realizing that their choice of who to
marry was the right choice to make. Each xpressed concern for their spouses
well being and the actions they took during the storm didn’t even cross their
minds as the storm passed. Sometimes people need a "storm" to happen in
their lives to help them realize how good they have it. Alcee and Calixta came
away from the storm realizing that they had each found the love of their lives
and it wasn’t each other. Neither wanted to loose their love, "So the storm
passed and everyone was happy."
- The Narrator Essay, Research Paper The narrator’s grandparents were ... recognizes his southern roots. He tells the narrator that ... the next morning. Analysis The reigning ideology in the South for the ... an old literary trope: the fool. By exploiting the ambiguity ...
- The Awakening Essay, Research Paper The Awakening A DISCUSSION AND ANALYSIS OF HOW KATE CHOPIN USES ... Themes And Works of American Literary Authors,” pub. 1993, World Class ... being the wife of her husband. Edna had no brothers, and a stern ...
- Historical Analysis On 1920s Essay, Research Paper "Wedding Band" by Alice Childress ... times unbearable for the blacks, and many felt that the southern atmosphere had ... their own work but because the literary tradition they built would become ...
- ... The Road Essay, Research Paper Jack Kerouac: On the Road Jack Kerouac is the ... . ?They avoid anything- self-analysis, self awareness, thinking- that ... the ?stream of consciousness? technique favored by the modernists? (?Jack Kerouac.? Contemporary Literary ...
- The Effect Of Stereotypes Essay, Research Paper In the book of Matthew, the Bible states that the ... According to Southern society, the right thing ... analysis of the stereotype leads to the internal conflict. Later in the ... ). In his literary criticism, Chadwick ...