Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
Odyssey Essay, Research Paper
The Odyssey: Odysseus, the Hero
The “Odyssey” is an epic story that has been a significant piece of literature since it was first composed and will remain so for ages to come. One of the reasons it has been so is because of the hero, Odysseus.
Odysseus is one of the first Greek mythic heroes renowned for his brain as well as his muscle. Indeed he is a man with an inquiring mind, and he is also a man with outstanding prowess and bravery. We also must not forget that he is a top-notch athlete which only adds more to this seemingly insuperable character. It is no wonder why many scholars refer to Odysseus as a powerful mythic hero.
Odysseus often hesitates before acting, because he uses his reason and gift to evaluate things. This patience is one of his most important additional attributes. This has saved him and his men many of times, and it can be easily seen in various instances throughout his travels such as when he disguised himself as a beggar when he finally reached Ithaca, waiting for the right moment to reveal himself.
As great as he was, Odysseus still had some weaknesses that prolonged his voyage back to Ithaca. His most important weakness that he possess is that of his pride. Pride is good to have, but in Odysseus’ case he had to much of it. This is clearly evident in the episode on the cyclopes’ island. When Odysseus and his men are clearly safe away from the island Odysseus braggs about his exploit. Polythemus hears this and hurls giant boulders in the direction of the ship. A couple came very close to sinking the ship. Still that was not enough for Odysseus. Carried away in his pride he unwisely gave away his identity to Polythemus. With that Polythemus called upon his father, Poseidon, to punish the man who had harmed him. That incident hurt Odysseus more than losing a few men, because Poseidon made his travel home ever so longer and arduous.
Yet another weakness of our hero is his sensualness. Odysseus enjoys women. He stayed with Circe for one year before his men reminded him of home. He also stayed with Calypso for seven years. Although we must take into thought that there were some other reasons why he stayed with her for so long, like that she was an immortal and he didn’t want to have her against him.
Nonetheless, Odysseus survived all that happened to him. His courage, wits, and endurance enabled him to come through each and every difficulty and arrive home safely.
- Odyssey Essay, Research Paper The Odyssey, by Homer, is a classical piece of Greek literature. Throughout The Odyssey, Homer makes ... the preceding line, Odysseus returns from the Underworld to the place where the sun rises– the ...
- Odyssey Essay, Research Paper The Odyssey is the story of the homecoming of another of the great Greek heroes at ... point that the crew of the odyssey faced the sirens. As instructed by Odysseus, the crew ...
- Odysseus Essay, Research Paper The Golden Sock Years after Odysseus came from his twenty year trip, Odysseus began ... Odysseus, so naturally? the Psycher jumper from the ship?s crow?s nest onto Odysseus? back. Odysseus ...
- Odyssey Essay, Research Paper The most admired classical hero is most certainly Odysseus, the mythological Grecian subject of ... had. For twenty years Odysseus overcame each obstacle the gods handed to him ...
- Odyssey Essay, Research Paper The story, The Odyssey, was written by Homer and ... time. Odysseus tests the suitors by begging for food from each one. Penelopeia ... Odysseus. Odysseus kills Eupeithes, then Athena stops the battle and makes peace between the two ...