Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
Pinochet Essay, Research Paper
An Overview of Pinochet
“It was a day in spring , December 20,1973 at about 4:30 pm , that I heard several
knocks on the door of my house , which sounded unfamiliar and threatening. My brother had
just returned home from his work in the textile industry and had gone to our common bedroom
to lie down for his usual short afternoon nap. I went to answer the door and encountered three
men with a very cold attitude. One of them asked me in a dry voice ; Does Pedro Rojas live
here ? ”
“Before answering, an infinity of urgent thoughts passed through my adolescent 16-year
old brain. I knew that my brother had been a memmber or a political organization of young
people who supported the party of the recently overthrown government and that in our
neighborhood many of his friends had been detained. For this reason I went through an internal
struggle whether to give the government agent an affirmative answer as to the whereabouts of
my brother……and for twenty-five years now, I have been living with the regret of having done
so. If I had denied my brother’s presence that day , it might have given him a tiny chance of
survival.” -From a real testimony
It all started when Salvador Allende Gossens was elected as president of Chile in 1970
(who was a communist ).
Allende then nationalized many industries , including the copper mines , in which U.S. business
had a lot of money invested in. Doing this cause economical problems and then aggravated by
strikes. The U.S. Central Intelligence Agency saw this to be the perfect time for a military coup.
This is where the government is overthrown. As a result of this military coup Allende was
eliminated on September 11, 1973. his successors declared that he had committed suicide,while
his supporters claimed that he was murdered .
At the time Pinochet was the military general ,so when the military coup happened he
took charge . He then greatly improved the economy through more conservative economic
polices. Any one who spoke out or rebeled against pinochet was eliminated. Pinochet was
finally sworn in as president under a new constitution in 1981. Then in October he lost a
plebiscite that would of let him contine as president until after March 1990. Due to all of the
killing he was in hot water with pretty much everyone. But , he couldn’t be tried until 1997
because he held the position of army chief until then.
Now that I’ve heard most of the facts I believe Pinochet to be wrong in killing all of
those people. Yet, one does have to give him credit for greatly improving the economy. But
nonetheless he should be tried for war crimes.The U.S. is also to blame because of our hatred
of the communist government we aided in the military coup. Not to be mean or anything but , he
should get the death penalty for his actions.
- An Overview Of Immanuel Kant Essay, Research Paper An overview of Immanuel Kant By Scott Haywood ... piano, you will become a good pianist.? The other being the categorical ...
- Foreign Direct Investments Essay, Research Paper We are living ... have an effect on FDI’s. This paper begins with an overview of ... by the notorious General Pinochet. IT&T’s”(3). Continued financial ... United States, backed General Pinochet’s coup in 1973, largely ...
- ... America Essay, Research Paper In attempting to establish the current state of development ... to allow an understanding of the current state of development. In overview of this, as ... -alert army still headed by an unrepentant Pinochet, a pro-military judiciary, ...
- ... Lewelyn Wark Griffith Essay, Research Paper Overview David Lewelyn Wark Griffith, an American filmmaking pioneer ... the budget of Birth of a Nation, with Griffith channeling most of his ... 1971. Gish, Lillian, with Ann Pinchot; Lillian Gish: The Movies, Mr ...
- ... Crime Essay, Research Paper Domestic Violence The Love Crime Domestic violence is one of ... taken in Miami two doctors, (Panagiota, Caralis V., MD, JD, and Musialowski ... . Edleson (1997a and 1997b) provides an overview of studies documenting the overlap between ...