Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
Taoism Essay, Research Paper
The Eastern Philosophy of Taoism is probably one of the earliest forms of philosophy known to man. Lao-tzu book the Tao Te Ching is the guidelines for any true follow of Taoism to live by. Taoism is a philosophy practice by one to get in accordance with nature, and to live simple. The ultimate goal of Taoism to become “Sage” or a wise man and once you achieve this goal you are said to be one with nature and you are heavenly.
Taoism has many different aspect of it but one particular portion I am going to focus on is in chapter three of the Tao Te Ching. The Tao Te Ching says in this portion that one must give up wordily things such as luxuries and life’s little extravagances because they cause great disturbance for another individual, on the basis that they don’t have this particular item. (c.3) The Tao Te Ching states that one must be willing to give these items up and not want them at all, for if one individual has an extravagant item or luxury another individual will want that item or another one like it. Thus induces the fact that an individual will be more willing to steal the item from you than work for his/her own because it is easier to steal. Which then causes the owner stress on wondering if someone will try and take his possession and in the end causes great disturbance for both parties.
On one point the Taoist can be correct in making this claim. A good example of this would be if no one valued gold, well then no one would want it. Yes and also in a hypothetical world this would cut or even stop theft and other crimes that may occur in relation with theft. However to what extent is this theory true? We cannot assume that everyone can just throw basic desires or even certain wants away; after all we are all human and many of us want many different things out of life.
The Taoist theory has many good intentions but is by far unethical. You cannot expect anyone person to throw away what they desire. People in a society and culture desire things for a reason. The first reasoning being because that individual wants that particular item, and secondly it makes them feel good to own it, to have achieved it. Every individual is different in society some of us have the same traits but no one is identically alike, that is one of the things that make our race so unique. To suggest that we give up a portion of our self worth and drive for achievement is ridiculous. A society or culture is founded upon certain rules and ethics. These ethics our taught and handed down by generations and our elders, if stealing or theft is a problem then we need to correct it there, not in our wants and desires.
Book of Taoism chapter 3
- Taoism Essay, Research Paper Taoism Throughout history, Taoism has been one of the ... , 15th Edition, Vol. 28. ?Taoism.? Chicago: Encyclopaedia Britannica, Inc., 1991 ... Britannica 15th Edition, Vol. 28: ?Taoism? (Chicago: Encyclopaedia Britannica, Inc., ...
- Taoism Essay, Research Paper In order to go into Taoism at all, we ... Taoism. Taoism was understood and practiced in many ways, each ... the resilience of Taoism in China. Taoism was adaptable, evolving ... of choosing between Confucianism and Taoism. Except for a few ...
- Taoism Essay, Research Paper Taoism is a religion that originated in Ching, probably during the 300’s B.C. Taoism ... The three jewels that identify Taoism are compassion, moderation, and ... expecting an award.” Sivin, N. “Taoism”The World Book Encyclopedia. 1997 ...
- Taoism Essay, Research Paper Philosophy of Mind in China ... was discourse. It threatened a regress?we need a discourse to guide ... the threat of a relativist regress in the picture led to ... accounts credit a movement dubbed “Neo-Taoism” with “paving the way” ...
- Taoism Essay, Research Paper Taoism Essay Did you know that there ... believe in. The founder of Taoism was Lao Tzu. Lao Tzu ...