Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
Poseidon Essay, Research Paper
I just finished reading about the god Poseidon. I am going to tell you a little about him. Some of the things that I am going to tell you about, are some of his relatives, his symbol, his power, a few interesting facts, and a brief summary of one of the many stories that he is mentioned in. First I am going to tell you about his symbol. It is a trident. It was given to him by the
Cyclopes to arm him in the battle against the Titans. The trident is not just something that looks like a pitchfork. It is much more powerful. It has the power to fork up whole continents and islands. After that, this became his tool of power. He would also throw his trident at the ground and it would create huge earthquakes. This is how he got his nickname Earthshaker. Now I am going to tell you about the relatives of Poseidon. His parents were Cronus and Rhea. Poseidon is the brother of Demeter, Hades, Hera, Hestia and Zeus. Zeus banished him to the underwater kingdom. Then Poseidon hurled huge waves at Zeus’ kingdom on Mount Olympus. He was unable to reach the kingdom, so he threw the waves at the land. This eroded it
everywhere except where Mother Earth put cliffs. Now I am going to tell you a summary of a myth about Poseidon. The name of this story is Poseidon. “In the days of Cronus and the Titans, the sea was ruled by Nereus.” Nereus was the father of fifty sea nymphs. When Poseidon came to take over the sea, Nereus gave him his daughter Amphitrite for his queen. Then Nereus retired and went into an underwater grotto. Poseidon had a son with Amphitrite. His name was Triton. He had a fishtail instead of legs. Just like his grandfather. He rode around on the back of a sea monster. Poseidon was barely ever at home because he was always racing the waves with his snow white horses. Poseidon had many wives and many children but Amphitrite was not jealous. One of the islands that Poseidon made was named Delos. It was so new that it still floated about the ocean. The only
thing that grew on this island was a palm tree. This island had barely been discovered. This is the island on which Apollo and Artemis would be born. This is why Apollo and Artemis will be born on the island of Delos. Hera found out that Zeus had married Leto. She got very mad and ordered all the lands to refuse to give her shelter. Therefore Leto could not give birth to the
babies. She then went to Delos. They could accept her there because it was still floating and was not a land yet. But she still could not give birth to the babies because Hera had forbid Ilithyia the goddess of childbirth to go to her. “Without her help no child could be born.” All the goddess’ felt bad for Leto, so they bribed Hera with a necklace. It was nine feet long and made of
gold and amber. Hera gave in and let Ilithyia go to Leto. Then Apollo and Artemis were born. “Zeus was filled with joy at the sight of his beautiful twins. He gave them each a silver bow and quiver full of arrows. The arrows of Artemis were soft as the moon and brought painless death, those of Apollo were hard and piercing as the rays of the sun.” Zeus blessed the island and attached it to the bottom of the sea. Plants grew everywhere on the island and this island became the richest Greek island of all.
“Pilgrims flocked to it and loaded it with temples and treasures to honor Leto and her Twins.” That was just some of the many interesting facts that I found about Poseidon. Poseidon is just one of the many Greek gods. So think of all the interesting facts about Greek mythology there are. I hope that you enjoyed reading my report on Poseidon.
- The Journey Of Odysseus Essay, Research Paper The Journey of ... named Polyphemos, son of Poseidon, entered and pushed a hugebolder ... which hadprovided him with just the information he needed ... survival. After the men finished talking, Menaleus showered him ...
- Culture Of India Essay, Research Paper Home: Geography: Culture of ... nation of Pakistan. East Pakistan broke away from Pakistan in 1971 ... of Sri Lanka lies just off India’s southern tip ... Cement, finished steel, steel ingots, refined sugar, fertilizers, paper and ...
- The Postman Essay, Research Paper Presentation of The Postman Review and Summary: And it ... a heart failure after .Il postino x was finished shooting. Actually my partner and ... quite understand this world, he just worshiping everything Neruda does, though ...
- Odyssey Essay, Research Paper The Journey of Odysseus ... Cyclops named Polyphemos, son of Poseidon, entered andpushed a huge bolder ... had provided him with just the information heneeded to ... survival. After the men finished talking, Menaleus showered him ...
- The Oddessey Essay, Research Paper THE ODYSSEY The Odyssey ... felt sorry for him, except Poseidon. Poseidon is in Eithiopia, however, ... being rescued by Calypso. Finished with his story, Odysseus ... Odysseus continues his trials just as the dead prophet had ...