Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
An electrical power plant has a nuclear reactor to produce
electricity. A nuclear reactor produces heat through nuclear
fission in which atomic muclei break apart releasing large amounts
of energy. In the core of the reactor, a self-sustaining
nuclear reaction takes place.
The power level of an operating reactor is monitored by a variety
of thermal, flow, and nuclear instruments. Power output is controlled
by inserting or removing from the core a group of netron-absorbing control
rods. The position of these rods determines the power level at which
the chain reaction is just self-sustaining.
In the pressurized water reactor, the water collant operates at a pressure
150 atmospheres. It is pumped through the reactor core, where it is heated
to about 620oF. The superheated water is pumped through a steam generator
where, through heat exchangers, a secondary loop of water is heated and
converted to steam. The steam drives turbine generators, is condensed back to
water, and pumped back to the steam generator. The secondary loop is isolated
from the reactor core water and, therefore is not radioactive. A third stream of
water from a cooling tower is used to condense the steam. The reactor
pressure vessels are 49 feet high and 16.4 feet in diameter, with walls 10 in.
thick.The core houses some 82 metric tons of uranium oxide contained in the
corrosion-resistant tubes. Finally generators produce electricity which is
delivered to a power grid by transmission lines.
During operation, and even after shutdown, this large 1000 megawatt power reactor
contains billions of curies of radioactivity. Radiation emitted from the reactor
during operation and from the fission products after shutdown is absorbed in thick
concrete shields around the reactor and primary collant system. Other safety
features include emergency core colling systems to prevent core overheating in the
event of malfunction of the main collant system and, a large steel and concrete
containment building to retain any radioactive elements that might escape in the
even of a leak.
- Solar Power II Essay, Research Paper Solar cells today ... with holes. This constitutes an electric current. In crystalline silicon ... as high reliability, photovoltaic power plants can be put up ... easily and quickly, photovoltaic power plants are quite modular and ...
- Electric Deregulation Essay, Research Paper In the past electricity pricing was controlled by ... industrial businesses, saving this sector an estimated $30 million a year. ... the company’s affiliates selling their power plants. Therefore, by examining the ...
- Electric Power Industry Deregulation Essay, Research Paper The roots of ... electric power producers. Although once believed to be an impossible proposal, competition among electric power ... , meaning they own the power plants, the substations, the transmission ...
- GEOTHERMAL ELECTRICITY Essay, Research Paper GEOTHERMAL ELECTRICITY In the ... Power Plants- SOFT ON THE ENVIRONMENT Geothermal power plants provide electricity without pollution. AIR – Geothermal power plants ... is safely returned through an “injection” well into ...
- Electric Vehicles Essay, Research Paper Matt Scott College ... An electric car has a battery, a charger for replenishing the battery?s power ... or plants. ?Fords interest in using Ethanol as an alternative ... . In the progress an electrical potential of about one ...