Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
Persuasive Essay Gay And Lesbian Rights Essay, Research Paper
Persuasive Essay – Gay and Lesbian Rights
“If anyone says, ‘I love God,’ yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For
anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen cannot love God, whom he
has not seen,” John 4:20. So, why do heterosexual people hate homosexuals? They
are ordinary people with a different lifestyle who would simply like to be
treated with respect. Many organized religions believe that a ‘gay’ lifestyle is
wrong. But, if someone is born producing hormones of the opposite sex, shouldn’t
we have compassion, instead of hating and labeling them as ‘morally wrong’? Why
are so many people homophobic? Being gay is human, not wrong.
Many people say that gays and lesbians are not equal to the straight
community. They are wrong. There are hundreds of gay and lesbian foundations and
activist groups around the country. They are not fighting for gay rights, but
for human rights. As stated in the Constitution of the United States, “All
people are created equal.” These organizations are fighting for equality. We all
deserve the same basic rights whether we are gay, straight, black, or white. No
one deserves to be judged, discriminated against, or treated unfairly. These
groups also try to strengthen the gay and lesbian movement at the state and
local level while connecting these activities to a national vision of change.
All they want is freedom to live their lives, to perform the same rituals as
heterosexuals, such as hold a job and marry. These people are law abiding
citizens and want and deserve the same rights as others. Is that too much to
Religious leaders believe that gay is wrong. Many organized religions are
contradicting themselves when they don’t accept gays and lesbians. If we are all
supposed to be God’s children, then that means God accepts all people. In other
words, we as children of God, should also accept all people. According to the
Bible, God is the only judge. “Do not judge others or you too will be judged,”
Matthew 7:1. Logically, we as humans do not have the power of authority to judge
Some heterosexuals say that they are afraid of or repulsed by homosexuals
when there is actually nothing scary or gross about them at all. “Why would God
create a being that is hates? Why are straight people so afraid of gay people?,”
asks Paul Radcliff of the American Gay and Lesbian Task Force. If one takes this
into consideration one will find his statement is true. What threat do they
possess? Only people who are insecure about their own sexuality are afraid of or
intimidated by homosexuals. This hate and fear only adds to the fear that
already exists and escalates the turmoil between the groups. Many homosexuals
fear rejection by friends, by family, and by society and are forced to keep
their lifestyle a secret. Unfortunately, they have every reason to be afraid.
Treating others “as you would have others treat you” is a basic philosophy of
many modern religions. Who could ask for otherwise? Certainly not the gay and
lesbian groups fighting for their rights as citizens of the world. If people can
think of homosexuals as regular human beings, no different from the rest of us, then maybe this problem would not exist. Maybe if people could be just a little
less hypocritical, then we would find that there is really no problem there at all.
- ... much two people can love each other even if they are ... child custody to civil rights (Graff 12). Lesbian and gay men do not seek ... when they saw them hug each other. I even had to ... with the persuasively phrased statement, “If two people love each other, they ...
- Social Movements- Gay Rights Essay, Research Paper The history of the gay rights movement goes as ... , there were almost eight hundred gay and lesbian organizations in the United States ... for people to listen to a persuasive message, they must feel as ...
- ... , political and religious roots. And some in the gay and lesbian communities reject ... not find this argument I persuasive, but it is an ... have the rights and obligations towards each other or ... significant number in the gay and lesbian communities want the “full ...
- ... gay is inherently wrong and abnormal. Half of all lesbian and gay ... that disapproves of and discriminates against lesbian sexuality. The major ... a powerful tool of persuasion that must be guarded ... the land guarantees equal rights and gives people free will ...
- ... be called gay or, in the case of women, lesbian because of ... kind of job and are of every political persuasion. Some are very ... assertiveness about their rights and about pride in their orientation. Gay activism, which ...