Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
Education Of The Heart Essay, Research Paper
John Steinbeck shows the readers many themes in “The Grapes of Wrath”. One
of the most apparent is as Steinbeck stated, “The Joads passage through a process of
education for the heart.” Many characters in “The Grapes or Wrath” exhibit this theme,
but it is valiantly apparent in the actions of the Joads as a family, Tom, Casy, and Rose of
Although each person in the Joad family is a separate individual, the family often
acts as thought it were one person. As one might expect the experiences they incur
change the family personality. At the end of the book the Joads have lost their family
identity, but they’ve replaced it with something equally worthy: they’ve found kinship
with other migrant families. The Joads merge with the Wainwrights and the Wilsons,
because each family needed the other and the fragmented family becomes whole again.
The members don’t share last names, but they give support to each other in the form of
food, blankets, a kind word, medicine, advice, and even love. As Casy says, “nobody has
an individual soul, but everybody’s just got a piece of a great big soul.” By opening their
hearts the Joads transformed into members of the universal family.
Rose of Sharon, the eighteen year old daughter goes through a miraculous
transformation of the heart as the journey progresses. When the Joads first begin their
torrid journey Connie, Roses husband, and Rose set themselves apart from the mundane
matters that occupy the rest of the family. They focus solely on the baby and dwell in the
future instead of the present. They dream of the house they’ll buy for the baby in
California, about the car they’ll drive, and about Connie’s schooling and job. When the
going gets tough, Connie abandons his young wife, which may have been the turning
point in Roses life. As time the birth approaches, Rose of Sharon does a surprising thing
for someone in her delicate state, as she insists on picking cotton with the rest of her
family. After a few days the baby is born dead and she seems relieved to know that she
won’t have to raise a child in awesome poverty. Suffering through childbirth has perhaps
opened her eyes. Throughout the book we have seen her concerned almost exclusively
with herself and her problems. Now she looks out at the world and turns completely
about. In an act of extreme charity, she suckles a dying man with the milk of human
kindness. Rose of Sharon discovers that everybody must be treated as family if they are
to endure. It’s a message of love, which Rose of Sharon powerfully dramatizes for us in a
Jim Casy, one of the three most important characters in the Grapes of Wrath only
appears in about one third of the book, yet we rarely forget him. Although Casy was
never a Joad, even Tom had stated he’s close enough to be a Joad. Casy, a former
preacher, retreats from organized religion because hypocrisy and a weakness for women
have forced him to reexamine his beliefs. He…
The rest of the
paper is available free of charge to our registered users. The
registration process just couldn’t be easier.
Log in or register now. It is all free!
- Education In The Classroom Essay, Research Paper Education in the Classroom, or in the Real World Oscar Wilde and ... be hard for teachers to know what kind of an accident the student ... friend would get up in the middle of the night to listen a dream ...
- Education Of Gifted Children Essay, Research Paper Started in the 1970?s, America?s Gifted & Talented programs ... work hard to make the curriculum interesting and challenging. With the proper education it ...
- Education And The Cutbacks Essay, Research Paper High youth unemployment and cutbacks ... together all the social elements that are hurt by the implementation of the big corporate ...
- Heart Of The Matter Essay, Research Paper Heart of the matter Any Human Heart William Boyd 503pp, Hamish Hamilton A ... to make sense of a life comprising a brutal public-school education, Africa in ...
- Cry Of The Beloved Essay, Research Paper Cry the Beloved Country Book One Theme Quotes Because the white ... more education is the only way out of the life they live. But the native ... 276) This explains the fear that lurks inside of the heart of Msimangu. He fears ...