Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
Hatchet is written by Gary Paulsen. It is a book about a thirteen
year old kid named Brian who crash lands in the Canadian wilderness and has to survive
on his own. Brian is flying to Alaska to visit his dad for the summer when suddenly the
pilot has a heart attack and dies. He grabs onto the controls and tries to land the plane but
there’s no flat area so he decides to crash into a lake. He hustles out of the
plane with his hatchet at his side and swims to the shore.
Hatchet is the story of his survival in the wilderness with only a hatchet.
Hatchet takes place in the wilderness of Canada. This setting is important because he has
no man made tools or food. He has to use the natural resources and his brain. Brian uses
his hatchet to make a shelter and weapons. He chops down branches and
sets them up for his shelter. “With the branches he interlaced and wove a wall
of the opening of the front of the rocks. Then he goes to get grass to
put on top of the branches. He uses the shelter to protect him from the rain
and some animals. After he builds the shelter, Brian uses his hatchet to make
spears and arrows. He takes branches and sharpens the tip of them to make
arrows and spears. “He had worked on the fish spear until it had become
more then just a tool.” He shoots the arrows at birds and throws the
spears at fish.
“I know about fire; I know I need fire.” Brian says this the second night he’s
there. Brian needs a fire because he needs it for heat, to cook food and to keep animals
away. Brian makes the fire with his hatchet and a rock. First, he figures out that he needs
some paper so he takes his twenty dollar bill and tries to burn it. Unfortunately the bill
just burns right out and leaves him with no fire. After that he takes his hatchet and cuts
really small pieces of bark. Then he piles them up under twigs. Then he takes his hatchet
and hits a rock with a great blow and sparks catch the bark on fire. He hits
another blow and the sparks catch the twigs on fire. And so he has a fire.
This process shows that whatever Brian sets his mind to he can do it. The
wilderness setting is important because if Brian landed in a major city, it
would be on the news everywhere. His dad would see it and come to get
The most striking point in this book was when he crashed landed in a lake and
tried to survive. He is only thirteen years old. If that was me I would have given up hope
the minute I got there. He never gave up hope. He always knew that his rescue team was
A principle I learned when I read this great book is not to ever give up hope even
when the odds are against you. This kind of reminds me in the book of Daniel. I thinks its
in the book of Daniel. Where Daniel was left in the wilderness all by himself. Well I
think its Daniel, I really don’t remember who it was but it’s in the Bible.
- ... survive with nothing but the hatchet his mother gave him ... with a new outlook on life. Hatchet is written in an interesting ... author, Gary Paulsen has written ?Hatchet? in two styles. First person ... All in all I found that “Hatchet” by Gary Paulsen was a very ...
- ... clothing a tattered windbreaker, and the hatchet his mother had given him ... only with his clothing and a hatchet that hung from his belt ... created by sparks from his hatchet and a rock striking together. ... of the plane with his hatchet. Eventually he got inside ...
- ... he leaves and it is a hatchet that fits on his belt ... a few days. Brian used his hatchet to start fires by using ... sparks from the hatchet by hitting it with a rock ... cut fire wood with the hatchet and other things such as ...
- ... The theme of the story Hatchet is determination, perseverance and survival ... tool to help him, a hatchet that his mother had given ... time. He almost lost his hatchet while trying to cut a ... and survive. Review: I liked ?Hatchet? because it is about teenage ...
- Hatchet Essay, Research Paper Hatchet, a Gary Paulsen masterpeice, was the ... more fast pace later on. Hatchet is a story about a young boy ... dangers that he finds. Overall Hatchet was a well written masterpiece. Gary ... book report on Gary Paulsen’s Hatchet.