Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
Who Dies Next? Essay, Research Paper
Who dies next?
Every year thousands of youth die, not from cancer or car accidents but by their
own hand. The American Academy of Pediatrics estimates that 500,000 youth try to kill
themselves every year and over 5,000 succeed. Since 1970 teen suicide has increased
300 percent for ages 15 through 19 and 180 percent for ages 10 through 14. In one recent
survey of high school students, 60 percent said they had thought about killing themselves.
That is three out of every five students. 44 percent of the youth who attempt suicide
overdose on some sort of drug. Where are these teenagers getting these drugs? 38
percent use fire arms. Where are they getting these guns? The 18 percent left chose
various other ways.
Why has the youth suicide rate taken such a dramatic jump in recent years? There
are several reasons of what might have caused this suicide increase, but almost every
reason has to do with the lack of parental interest. Cindy Young, a local licensed
professional counselor, states that over half of her youth clients that are suicidal have
parents that spend no time with them. The average parent does not spent sufficient ?quality
? time with their children. Now it is more often for both mother and father to work full
time, from that one factor parents deprive their children of the time they need. Another
reason parents do not spend as much ?quality? time with their children is because parents
have their own interests. It may be watching television, reading, talking on the phone,
working on the computer, new family members, such as a new child or spouse. Children
seem to take the back burner a generous amount of the time. Another reason for the suicide
increase is because many children do not meet up to their parents expectations, so in
response parents put their children down, tell them they are worthless, punish them, call
them names, and physically abusing them. Because of this, many times children pull away
from their parents, keep their feelings in side and often feel they have no one to talk to.
Suicidal tendencies also develop child could get suicidal because parents may never
verbally express their love for the child. It is very important that children have no doubt that
they are loved by their parents. Many parents think that buying their children everything
they want is a significant way to show their children they are loved, but it is not. Words
need to go along with parents actions for a child to fully understand their parent?s love for
them. Praising the child is also very important. Parents need to acknowledge when their
child does something good, and tell the child how proud they are. Sometimes children need
praised for no special reason at all. Children also need touch from their parents. Not just a
pat on the back every once in a while, but hugs and kisses everyday. Holding children is
also a good way to provide the touch they need. It does not matter how old or big they
are, holding is still very nurturing for them and helps to keep or create a special bond
between child and parent.
What can be done to bring the intensely high suicide rate in youth down? I believe
the first thing that should be done is to let the parents know what is causing most children to
make this choice of suicide. Parents need to know that it might partly be their fault. They
need to be tough how to properly meet the need of their children. Class need to be
offered by the child?s school for the parents. Because a lot of parents would not even
think about going to these classes, schools need to require it. Parents should not have a
choice. These classes would teach parents about the warning signs to look for in their
child. The classes would also be used to inform parents about facts of youth suicide.
Parents should also be told the thing the y need to be doing with their children. Schools
also need to have classes for the youth. Youth need to be informed about the facts of
suicide just as much as the parents do. Teach the children that if they are feeling suicidal
that they are not alone and that it is okay to talk about it.
School counselors also need to be on the lookout in the schools for children that
maybe showing warning sighs of suicide. These students need to be watched very carefully
and their parents need to be notified. Schools should also start support groups for parents
and children. This way parents of suicidal children can meet together and talk with the
supervision of a professional counselor. Children who are suicidal can also meet and talk
about their feelings out the supervision of a professional counselor. Doing this will help
children know that they are not alone and will also get them someone to talk to that
Hopefully if everyone works together we can help the youth suicide rate to
decrease. Education is the key, parents and children need to know more about this
subject. We don?t want to lose anymore children tothe awful choice of suicide. These
children need to having fun and enjoying life not have to battle the thoughts of suicide.
- Who Was Shakespeare? Essay, Research Paper Who was Shakespeare? Was he a ... been buried in Westminster Abbey next to Chaucer, Beaumont, and ... Mr. William Shakespeare, he died in April 1616,” which means ... tribute. When Oxford’s widow died nine years later 14 of ...
- ... God Essay, Research Paper ?Who is God? So many people have a false interpretation of who ... who believes in me will live, even though he dies; ? Jesus died and ... for everyone differently from the next person. ?Who do you say He ...
- Night Essay, Research Paper Night Chapter 1 Elie describes the events ... had to take turns who were standing and who were sitting. The ... the train named Madame Schachter who kept ranting and raving about ... family and all these others died. He must have felt why ...
- Night Essay, Research Paper The Absence of Knowledge “Never shall I forget that night, the first night ... in Elie’s car who had images of smoke ... these hardships, unlike many who died, and came through to ... all those people were dieing and suffering without any ...
- Night Essay, Research Paper Night From the View of an ... them are friends to those who are just arriving. These ... the next camp. I knew there would be no way of ... to kill every person who fell behind the pack. ... and still yet more people died. There was still yet ...