Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
The Breathing Method
About the author
Stephen King was born on September 21, 1947 in Portland, Maine. In 1949, when Stephen was 2 years old, his father left one night and never came back. There are a couple of turning points in his young life that he believes pointed him in the direction that he now is at. In 1954 he began to write stories. Around 1959, he found a box of horror and sci-fi books in his aunt’s house. Those books brought the horror genre to him. He began writing horror stories shortly thereafter. In 1965, his first story I Was A Teenage Grave Robber was published in the Comics Review magazine. In 1971, King married Tabatha Spruce, and they now have three children, Joe, Owen and Naomi. His first novel, Carrie, was published in 1973. Since then, King has had numerous short stories and novels published and movies created from his work. Stephen King is called the “Master of Horror”. His books have been translated into many different languages, published in over 35 different countries. There are millions of copies of his novels in publication. He continues to live in Bangor, Maine.
Some of his Novels
Carrie: A young woman finds that she has unbelievable powers.
Salem’s Lot: Vampires take over a small town in Maine.
The Shining: A possessed hotel tries to destroy a family.
The Dead Zone: Johnny wakes from his coma with a power and a responsibility.
Firestarter: A young girl tries to deal with her amazing powers.
Christine: A car with a mind of its own seeks vengence.
Pet Sematary: Pets return from the dead to terrorize people in a small town in Maine.
It: Children fight the ultimate evil, grow up and do it again.
Misery: A “number one fan” saves the life of an author and keeps him for her own twisted purposes.
The Tommyknockers: Digging up a UFO can do strange things to people.
Gerald’s Game: A sexual fantasy turns into a nightmare.
Rose Madder: An abused woman tries to start a new life, but her husband has a different idea.
Some Story Collections
Four Past Midnight
Nightmares and Dreamscapes
The Green Mile
The Breathing Method is about a strange club in New York where men tell each other stories. The years pass but no one looks older. One night before Christmas Mr. Adley (he is the main character of this book) goes to the club again. At that day Dr. McCarron tells a story about a young woman who is pregnant and who visits his practice. The doctor teaches her the breathing method, which will help her deliver the baby. Other doctors say that this method is stupid and dangerous. Sandra Stansfield, the woman in question, likes this method, because she thinks that it might help her. One night McCarron has a terrible dream about an accident and that Sandra is holding her head in her hands. One evening when she gets the first contraction she phones Dr. McCarron and afterwards she takes a taxi and drives to the hospital. A few meters before the hospital they have an accident. The car skids and crashes into an ambulance and then into a statue. The woman?s head is cut off, but her body is still breathing. The doctor could deliver the baby and when he has finished he sees Sandra?s head lying on the street. She opens her eyes and says four words:”Thank you, Doctor McCarron”. After McCarron has told this story, the people leave the club. The last is Mr. Adley.
My opinion about this story is positive, because it is very interesting to read. I think all people who like horror stories will like this book.
- The Significance Of Dreaming Essay, Research Paper Alexander the Great dreamt ... hypotheses have been made on how and ... the ?startle network,? the part of the brain stem that speeds the heart and breathing ... waking up (?Dream? 1). Steven LaBerge, a researcher of ...
- Capital Punishment Essay, Research Paper This day in age murderers? ... the muscles in the body and stops breathing. Shortly after, the felon dies. The next method ... by Professor Stephen Layson of the University of North Carolina made a significant conclusion ...
- Abortion Essay, Research Paper Abortion In our media-intensive culture it is not ... the person as animated flash. As the person is breathed into, so the person breathes ... illegal procedures. Works Cited Currie, Stephen. “Abortion is murder.” Opposing viewpoints ...
- Sleep Apnea Essay, Research Paper Sleep Apnea General Psychology Steven O’Brien, Psy.D Sleep, why do ... (cessation of air flow at the mouth for greater than 10 seconds ... therefore may help prevent breathing problems. In the Wisconsin Sleep Cohort Study ...
- Obasan Essay, Research Paper OBASAN – Opus ”I want to break loose from the heavy identity?I am ... , unable to laugh, unable to breathe out loud.” (102). In Joy ... help him with it. Stephen has made himself altogether unfamiliar with speaking ...