Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
Becoming A Stronger Person Essay, Research Paper
Becoming a Stronger Person
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings is a story about a Black female growing up in the American South during the 1930 s and 40 s. Maya Angelou, the narrator and author of this book, writes about growing up in a society filled with racism and hatred. From rape to racism, Maya Angelou has experienced an immense amount of hardships and grievances her whole life. Through these experiences, Maya learns the true meaning of courage, independence, and trust; she realizes that the hardships and various experiences in one s life can only make that person stronger in the end.
As a child, Maya was a very quiet and passive girl who rarely spoke her mind. When she was younger, a couple of powhitetrash girls went into her grandmother s store and harassed her. Maya was so scared that all she could do was curl herself up into a small corner and start crying; unable to stick up to those girls. However, her sudden development of courage is exemplified when she goes to visit her father in California. Maya gets into an argument with her father s girlfriend, Dolores, and apparently, Dolores ends up calling Maya s mother a whore. The new Maya, filled with anger, responded by slapping Dolores across the face. The small, reticent child had turned into a courageous, young woman.
In the early years of her life, Maya had always been pretty dependent on her grandmother or brother. However, when she got older, she realized that she needed to do something on her own. As a result, she went out and found herself a job. Being a black girl, finding a job was not simple, but she managed without giving up. Her sedulous work granted her the position as the first black trolley conductor in San Francisco. She had succeeded independently and did not give up without putting up a fight.
Maya s one month stay in the junkyard taught her how to trust again. After the rape incident, Maya became very insecure and kept to herself most of the time. However, in the junkyard, she built a special camaraderie with her fellow run-away friends and was able to trust again. The open acceptance by her peers wiped away the feeling of insecurity that she
had felt for such a long time. They initiated her into the brotherhood of man . They accepted Maya for the person she was inside; completely disregarding the color of her skin. This regain in trust helped Maya make her decision in calling her mother and return back home. Her experience in the junkyard was truly a significant turning point in her life.
The unforgettable experiences in Maya Angelou s life has truly formed her into a bold and strong woman. Maya had to make the best of every bad situation, and she certainly did. In that in every situation, she learned something new about herself and, as a result, molded herself into a stronger woman. It is evident that Maya Angelou has dealt with her hardships pretty well, and that it has only made her stronger in the end.
- Prison Essay, Research Paper We all know that ... extends beyond a single incident, often becoming a daily assault. "Psychologists and ... to their communities. Some will become rapists, seeking to `regain ... who have paired off with stronger prisoners for their own ...
- Environment And Average Person Essay, Research Paper There are many important ... . These insects are steadily becoming more and more immune to ... forced to apply more and stronger toxins. As the amount ... and what there is, is becoming more laxed every year. The ...
- The Stranger 2 Essay, Research Paper Albert Camus The Stranger is about the life of a ... become more feeling. He is what would be considered an existentialist a person ... the category of a detached person. To a person who seeks out meaningful relationships ...
- Fear In Different Genres Essay, Research Paper Fear in Different Genres By ... as the film progresses, he becomes stranger and stranger. In the world, the ... a master of fear, and another person the brings about fear through ...
- Gun Control And Schools Essay, Research Paper you recently picked up a ... laws feared that until stronger gun control measures are ... treated like a vehicle. A person should need a license just to ... that recently school shootings have become a major issue. And we ...